1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

2 bedrooms or 1 bedroom (common wall partially removed)

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by Sammy L Pittman, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammy L Pittman

Sammy L Pittman Junior Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    I did an FHA REO appraisal for a DW MFH in which a common wall between two bedrooms was 90% removed in order to create one big room. Each side still has their door, closet & windows intact. I still felt that the home was a 4 bedroom, but everyone else is calling it a three bedroom. Should I just go ahead and change it to three bedroom???

2. xm72mhd

xm72mhd Elite Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    The way you put this you wouldn't have this question if the wall was there. With the wall it would be a four bedroom, so therefore the wall is pivotal in your thinking and without it the subject is three bedroom, one of which has two doors and two closets. When the wall goes back up then it will be once again a four bedroom. I've always considered a room to be one that is enclosed or essentially walled off from other rooms. I know those that imagine walls and count rooms that way, but that never made a lot of sense to me. For example if the subject has a great room that contained a dining area, family room and living room the imaginary wall advocates would count the great room as three rooms. I have enough problems just telling it like it is. A great room with three areas was about as far as I could get.

3. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Seems to me it's a 4 bedroom MH that has been modified. Does bedroom count affect value and marketability in that location? I would think that the market might see this house with a lage bedroom with two doors and two closets as being goofy.

4. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Okay Sam, you are starting to get a little frisky. Are you ready to put on a show for the other bedroom?

3 bedrooms with one of them having a romper area attached - some call it a sitting room.

5. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Structural engineer called in.

If it is HUD Code MFG and a wall has been removed. I would be calling for a structural engineer to inspect the subject. Because it is an engineer home and each wall is set to specs to support the rest of the home. I would have concerns about the total condition of the subject now. Can it carry the snow load, the wind load? What has changed?

Three bedrooms with room for a King bed. Subject to inspection.

6. Marcia Langley

Marcia Langley Senior Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Missouri
    Ditto structural inspection.

3 bedrooms. To be counted as a bedroom, it should have privacy.

7. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Mr Pittman,

Ditto structural inspection.

3 Bedrooms. Consideration of functional obsolesence of the floor plan made due to conversion or "Subject To" getting converted back.

Barry Dayton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.