1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

a la mode on more than 1 computer

Discussion in 'a la mode (TOTAL)' started by aaron lambert, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaron lambert

aaron lambert Sophomore Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I am looking into switching to a la mode, but I was told I have to by a program for every computer I put it on. I work from my home computer, my laptop, and my office computer. Is there any way around this?

2. Michael Chu

Michael Chu Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    Licensing

AFAIK, IF wintotal one license is kept on the main computer, you can have all the computers on your LOCAL network share the single license.
    The mobile user or the user separate from the network needs to have another license.

If you are a lone operator, you could make the laptop the main PC.
    This way, the laptop carries the license with it.
    The drawback is that once the laptop is disconnected from the network, all the other PC are without licensing; inoperable.

3. Anthem

Anthem Senior Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina

You can load the form filling software from Alamode on an as many computers as you would like - for your use.

It is the sketching software that requires a license on a per computer basis.

You do not have to network them together to use it.

Feel free to call them at 1-800Alamode and find out for yourself.

Hope this helps.

4. Michael Chu

Michael Chu Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    Eula

End User Licensing Agreement (EULA)

read it.

5. Anthem

Anthem Senior Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina

No need to read it.

This is what it means a single user can load it on as many computers as wanted for that single users own use. Any other type of sharing use needs to be done on a network in accordance with the EULA.

Just to make sure that I haven't total spaced it I confirmed this with alamode today as I am a long time Beta Development User and usually have a good grasp on the product.

Thanks,

6. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Senior Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Professional Status:
    IT Professional-Appraisal Related
    State:
    Texas
    Aaron:

Preston is only partially right with respect to Apex. The new version of Apex (Medina) now has a "laptop license" - that is, a "single user" license is valid for two users for (say) one's desktop machine and a laptop type scenario and that 1 - 2 user license is less than previous versions' one user only license. There are also 3 - 5 user licenses, (and more) for the medium-to-larger shops. Additionally, unlike previous versions Medina is also designed to work with multiple forms products which means you no longer have to buy a different version for ABC forms and another one for XYZ forms. One version is designed to work with all forms products. No more "custom versions" which just restrict your usage and end up costing you more money.

FWIW, I believe Michael is correct in his "read the EULA" comment. The EULA may say you have the right to install on one machine only but you may be able to physically install on several machines. This sort of thing is up to the people who make the software.

Hope this helps!

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    WCA-inc.com
    So long as you have the license code, you can load it on as many computers as you want.:)

8. xmrdfghap

xmrdfghap Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    Same with clickforms

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    Yeah, I like Clickforms too. They and WCA operate the exact say way... the appraiser is in control. :coolsmiley:

10. Michael Chu

Michael Chu Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    EULA again

the bigger the s/w company the more restrictive/convoluted is the EULA.
    I tried reading the M$ EULA and was not able to finish it.
    But we all click 'yes' in agreement.

But as far as legalese goes, they put just enough in there for the unsuspecting user to 'think' they can get away with something but when their arse is on the line, the lawyers will pull out the EULA and nail you.

Back in windoz 98,2000 days people would be more than happy to install as many copies of the product as they felt necessary and then passed it on to friends, family etc. Everybody else is doin' it! Why not?

Appraiser's IMO, should have a little better understanding or sensitivity about these things because the key measure is the ethics aspects of actions that go against the EULA.

I doubt Alamode will confirm your statement, in writing.

Believe it or not, if you use the s/w, you've agreed to everything on it.
    If you are using the s/w against the EULA, this discussion is moot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.