1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A stained conrete basement floor-finished?

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by prasercat, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prasercat

prasercat Senior Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    Seeking opinions: Seems that I've seen this a few times now, people staining their basement concrete floors and giving it a "faux" finish, like one often sees in the exterior with stamped concrete patios. I had one in a luxury home a while back where the owners had the builder use a diamond saw to cut the surface of the slab into squares to make it look like large tiles and then applying a stain to the surface.

While there are some quality considerations and the concrete treatments vary in cost and appeal, it seems proper to me to call it a finished floor (with caveats). Does this seem reasonable?

The motivation to do this would seem only to be a cost savings over tile or wood, or other method to finish the floor yet not have carpet, which some do not want, especially when one has pets.

2. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    It's not that cheap if done professionally, but yes it is a finish. Most have a couple of coats of stain to add depth, then a clear coat finish that is easy to keep clean. Alot of bars and restaurants built on slabs use a similar finish.

3. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I inspected a high end lakefront with a super high quality 6 car garage. The owner had "decorated" the concrete with zillions of very small, multi-colored painted splotches. He then coated the entire floor with some very high gloss epoxy finish. It was very interesting and unique.

4. Hank Outlaw

Hank Outlaw Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    I've only seen such a "finish" [interior] floor treatment a few times, most recently in a foreclosed home approx. 5-6 years old on a slab foundation. The finished concrete flooring had cured and cracked in numerous places throughout the home, so I suppose a lot has to do with who poured / finished the floor and if they knew what they were doing. The cracks in the finished concrete floor made prospective buyers apprehensive, e.g., wondered what else was "wrong" with the home.

This feature is so limited in my area that it is difficult to support any adjustment (positive or negative).

Hank O.

5. RSW

RSW Elite Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    I agree! I have done several high dollar home appraisals lately that have the same type of floor coverings. I don't have a problem with calling it finished.

6. Proactive

Proactive Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Washington
    Even in Idaho we have stained basement floors--see 'em all the time.

Pet and beer stains count, right?

7. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    We have a concrete finisher who resurfaces concrete floors mainly in offices and coats with a colored layer and finishes out very nicely. The other thing we have are industrial epoxy floors. The developers of this used sand embedded in epoxy taking the idea from a brother who did it to keep his milk cows from slipping on wet parlor floors. They finish floors for industrial and public buildings nationwide.
    http://www.tufcoflooring.com/

8. MikeinLA

MikeinLA Junior Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Very common in trendy Los Angeles homes and absolutely de rigeur (sp) in the downtown commercial loft condo conversions. There is a process called "tromploi" which is basically "stained concrete" which I throw around to make it sound fancy.

Mike

9. AnonApprsr

AnonApprsr Elite Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Massachusetts
    Shoot I count painted basement floors. Looks better than 1970 shag carpeting anyway.

10. CGgonnabee

CGgonnabee Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    My best friend is an architect...she showed me some photos from her most recent restoration/remodel which included concrete counter tops...pretty amazing what can be done with this medium.

Another friend works for a concrete company...he has a stained concrete (stamped to look like slate) driveway that is quite beautiful. Would look great in my sunroom...if I had one.

I agree with Mr. Rex, if done professionally, these types of finishes are not cheaper alternatives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.