1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ACI Auto Replace file location?

Discussion in 'ACI (Appraisers Choice) Software' started by jtengland, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtengland

jtengland Sophomore Member

May 10, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    With ACI closed this fine Sunday, I am unable to speak with them about this, so here I am with my fingers crossed.

I have just built a new PC and finally purchased my own copy of the ACI collection. I have been able to migrate everything over with no trouble (i.e. Common Responses, Templates, etc.) but I can't find the location of the Auto Response (edit: Replace, not Response) data on my old computer to copy over. I have spent several years creating and refining my AR database and it would be a shame (not to mention, a pain) to have to recreate it.

And one final item, because I found zero info on this particular topic in my computer design phase, I thought I'd quickly mention it here. I have ACI and Apex Medina running flawlessly under Windows XP 64 SP2. I had to reverse the end of the directions provided by ACI support, in that the WebUpdate has to be run prior to integrating Medina as the sketch program, otherwise ACI claims that Medina is not yet installed. In XP 64, ACI gets installed in the "Program Files (x86)" directory which allows 32bit software to run in a 64bit version of XP.

Anyway, thanks for anyone's help with the Auto Response file(s).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. EDWARD BERRY

EDWARD BERRY Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    I Do Not Understand How And What The Auto Response Is.
    Ed

3. jtengland

May 10, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Thanks for the reply, Ed.

And I made a mistake, it's called Auto Replace, and it replaces a section of text with something else. For example, I type ccc and ACI swaps in Contra Costa County, or lr swaps in living room, and so on. I use it a lot for stuff like this:

The sub has berber cpt in the lr, fr and all four brs with vinyl fl in the kit, da and lar.

Which becomes:

The subject has berber carpeting in the living room, family room and all four bedrooms with vinyl flooring in the kitchen, dining area and laundry room.

It just takes half the time to type.

Anyway, you set that feature up by going to Options > Environment > Auto Replace(very last one on the left)

4. VegasWayne

VegasWayne Senior Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Nevada
    This feature is similar to a Microsoft Word feature called auto replace. It replaces misspellings with the correct spelling and is located with the spelling dictionary. I don't have ACI but the spelling dictionary seems a likely place to look. A nasty trick to pull on someone is to make a correction to their name. As a joke someone set Microsoft Word to replace the name "Sandi" with "Sandi the Dork". Several memos and letters were sent out before she noticed and had me fix it for her.

5. EDWARD BERRY

EDWARD BERRY Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    Sounds Good-i Have Never Used It-did "search" For Several Folders In Aci32--no Luck On Other Words.
    Sorry, Ed

6. jtengland

May 10, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Wow, Vegas, that's hilarious. Did that take long to figure out?

@Ed - No problem at all, thanks for looking. I'll update this thread if I find a solution.

John

7. VegasWayne

VegasWayne Senior Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Nevada
    I was easy to figure out. I had set up Word to replace abbreviations just like your setup in ACI. It was originally a feature to automatically correct common spelling errors, but it let the user add corrections so correcting an abbreviation is a big time saver. There is probably a list of corrections stored with the spelling correction dictionary on ACI.

8. Lee in L.A.

Lee in L.A. Elite Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Auto Replace is a handy feature, which I guess I could use more. cola = City of Los Angeles. I'd like to know how to back it up too, and also the spell check dictionary.

9. jtengland

May 10, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Handy indeed. Until voice recognition is properly integrated, Auto Replace remains my best carpal tunnel prevention option. ;)

10. OSU Beavers

OSU Beavers Elite Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    Does Auto Replace work as you type, or is it something you run at the end like spell check?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.