1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AMCs resisting being ID's as CLIENT

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by leelansford, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    Are you (IL licensed appraiser) facing coercion or resistance from an AMC regarding the AMC being identified as the CLIENT in your appraisals?

If yes, do you have something in written form from the AMC specific to this matter?

2. Tony Bamert

Tony Bamert Junior Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    RELS and PCV Murcor have so far been the only ones that have not sent me a letter and have resisted my attempts to get one. Historically, RELS seems to be most resistant to anything. LSI, Streetlinks and most of the smaller AMCs I deal with are on board.

I have noticed this week that a lot of them are inserting broad language into their order sheets that attempts to define themseleves as an authorized agent. I guess that is fine. I have still tried to get a letter from them. None of them to date has started to send the letter each time with the order.

3. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    Thanks, Tony.

I want to focus here on any AMC that is not accepting an appraisal that has the AMC identified as the client.

Anyone?

4. Don Fiore

Don Fiore Junior Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    We have found that resistence will usually evaporate pretty rapidly if Brian Weaver himself has a word or two with the reluctant AMC. Some years ago, when we still had to identify the cleint by personal name, he provided a form letter explaining this requirement for appraisers to send to AMCs, and that, too, always did the trick. At least with the smaller AMCs.

I suspect, however, that some of the biggest, heavy duty clout-loaded, arrogant AMCs believe that they're above the law in general, especially since compliance it's the appraiser's problem in the first place.

More curious to me, Lee, is how we've seen several AMCs send out announcements to advise Illinois appraisers of the changes. Certainly that in itself is not objectionable. Far from it. But again, the need to do so suggests that there are plenty of IL appraisers who don't have a clue about what's going on, though that seems impossible, especially with the availability of the IL Appraiser Newsletter.

5. form1025

form1025 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    If the State board sent a directive to the AMCs,perhaps this issue would be moot,for they might feel compelled to submit the information with an authoritative entity requesting the information as opposed to a rank and file appraiser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.