1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

And idea for Ray Miller

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Alisa, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alisa

Alisa Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    Ray, I've been thinking about you for a few days...I have an idea for your ranch...

Just an idea, not sure if it would work BUT you might want to check it out. :shrug:

My husband is an astronomy buff. City lights are a major problem for star viewing. There are get togethers across the US in spots where there is limited population and less lights...They call them Star Parties. There is
    an astrology magazine that publishes the list...Astronomy Today, I think it is. What if you sponsored star parties at your ranch? Might be good advertising and a draw.

A lot of them spend the night at these things -- sleep in vans, etc. BUT some might want your accomodations, food, whatever...gift shop and other things for their families? A vacation spot for the entire family and dad/mom and/or the kids could see the stars, have a hayride and whatever else goes on at your ranch. Just a thought but I've been mulling it over with you in mind.

I might be totally off base with this but it's something you might want to
    pursue.

Alisa

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  2. Randolph Kinney

Randolph Kinney Elite Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Could you mean, astronomy? Amateur astronomers gather together for a star party.

I did not know that astrologers also do the same.

3. Alisa

Alisa Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Randolf,

Thanks so much!!! Yes, I did mean astronomy ....gosh, I must be getting old!!!

Alisa

4. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Cool idea Alisa.

5. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    With Ray's luck, he'd get sued for an insufficent number of stars out on any given night!

I'd be willing to bet that the hay rides and things he offers promotes star gazing. But, maybe, a star gazing party WITH hay rides, etc would be a new way to market the whole concept.

6. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin

Yep, it might just work. I will bring it to the staff at the next meeting.
    Just lay back in the hay and watch the stars. Listen to soft foot falls of the teams hooves.

How many of you been on a real hay ride with a team of horses pulling the hay wagon? There is something really special about going on one like that. Then pull up to the campfire on a cool crisp night enjoy roasted marshmello's, hot spiced cider and warm dutch over ginger bread.

7. Alisa

Alisa Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Well, the astronomers who come will have telescopes and ladders and all kind of accessories for their telescopes. It is amazing what they can see
    with those things.

You would need a special area for them away from the lights of your buildings, etc. and no campfires. They will have their own special
    red lights that do not interfere with the telescopes.

8. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Gosh, Ray. That scenario sounds terrific! I've been trying to think of someplace to go for a vacation. This time, I'm not so much trying to get away from stress but something just............different. I went on a hay ride when I was a kid. I was too young then to have much interest in girls, now I'm too old. BUT.........I am a notorious voyeur.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  9. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Ray, I just did a 3 hour train ride that was a wine tasting experience. 5 different kinds of wine were served (all in very limited amounts). Each was served with a food item that was designed to go with that particular wine. There was a rep from the distributor present and he explained each wine and its particular traits. Most enjoyable evening.

Imagine riding horseback or a wagon from one location to another, under the stars. At each stop there is a campfire, and the people are served about a 1/3 of a glass of wine, and some appropriate food. Then saddle up and move on to the next taste treat.

I did not see anybody 'get wasted'. My guess is each person consumed a maximum of 1.5 - 2 glasses of wine over a 3 hour period.

10. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the information. Keep coming with the ideas. Always looking for new things to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.