1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraising "green" homes. SoCal appraiser needed asap!

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by evanlittle, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanlittle

evanlittle New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Real Estate Agent or Broker
    State:
    California
    I'm in desperate need of an appraiser who is LEED AP, LEED Associate, CGBP, GPR or has a personal interest in "green" homes ASAP in the Orange County, CA area.

Thank you!

Evan
    http://permacultureproperties.com

2. Randolph Kinney

Randolph Kinney Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Is this residential single family, multi-family 2-4 or commercial?

I don't see a large demand for "green" certification. How many properties do you have now that are green?

3. evanlittle

evanlittle New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Hi Randolph,
    I have two SFRs and hopefully a 3rd soon.

There are several others being built now and just about everything in the future will be built with more and more green features. Most CA cities are becoming more arresive with their building codes due to AB32 and many have already adopted Build it Green's GreenPoint Rated certification or at least included parts of it.

Currently there is a tiny demand for green property and with the appraisers being cut to pieces right now with all of the changes in their industry, I'm not surprised to see that I'm unable to find a local appraiser who has begun to brand themselves as the go to "green" appraiser.

The USGBC's LEED, Build it Green's GreenPoint Rated and NAHB's certification should be taken for real and not just another gimmick for the next 10-15 years. It's going to be a massive industry. SO MUCH money is rushing to it now. Both government and private.

4. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    Around here, the demand is not what they expected and they have not been able to sell them for any price more than a typical home of similar quality. Consumers are not enamored with recycled wood floors, recycled ceramic tile, green sheetrock or many of the other features that just don't have a demand yet. Going green is more fluff than Texas consumers are willing to pay extra for.

5. Victoria

Victoria Sophomore Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    There is a directory on the GBCI website. I searched CA, Area of Specialty: Appraisal, and LEED AP without specialty and got 3 results, one was listed as an educator in Newport Beach. I'm thinking you probably already have this info, but I posted it just in case you didn't, maybe it might be help. https://ssl25.cyzap.net/gbcicertonline/onlinedirectory/

Also, the Appraisal Institute offers a course on appraising green properties, maybe they could give you a referral http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. Denis DeSaix

Denis DeSaix Elite Member

May 16, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I took the seminar from the AI: Valuation of Green Residential Properties.
    The instructor was also the seminar developer: Alan F. Simmons. You can look him up on the AI resource page: http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/findappraiser/default.aspx

He is one of the few appraisers that has a LEED certification and he might be able to recommend a local appraiser for you.

The level of expertise you need is dependent on the level design-steps and construction-steps taken to improve the home's energy efficiency, its use of sustainable/recycled products in its construction, its ability to maintain its interior air quality, and its ability to conserve resources (like irrigation water). Landscape design can play an important factor as well.

Good luck.

7. evanlittle

evanlittle New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Tim,
    I'm seeing a lot of the same even in California. A lot of the builders, especially the smaller ones, are going overboard with features that are difficult to finacially justify or picking a neighborhood that can't support the prices their finished "green" home is worth.

Denise and Victoria,
    Perfect! Exactly what I needed. Thank you! I forgot to check the GBCI web-site after breezing through the membership directories.

Evan
    http://permacultureproperties.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.