1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Arm's Length or Not

Discussion in 'Commercial/Industrial Appraisals' started by bmazerolle, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmazerolle

bmazerolle New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    Husband and wife co-own biz which leases bld also co-owned by same. After divorce, husband keeps biz, wife keeps bld, so now husband leases from ex-wife. With nothing further known, would you consider this an arm's length lease?

2. Howard Klahr

Howard Klahr Senior Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
  3. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
  4. PL1957

PL1957 Senior Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    It may not have started as arm's length, but I think it is a valid encumbrance on the property through it's term. I don't think you can blow it off because it sounds like it would survive the sale of the building.

5. jimmyfrank

jimmyfrank Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Alabama
    I bet the rent increased to above market rent, I would not trust it as being arms length.

6. MAIorBust

MAIorBust Junior Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Are the parties unrelated? Not really, they have known each other for years. If the rent was in line with my other rent comps I might use it for support and disclaim the relationship in the comp write up.

7. Michael S

Michael S Senior Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Perhaps if the lease was renegotiated after the divorce. If not, it's definitely not arm's length. I've seen plenty of pocket-to-pocket leases like this with owner-user properties, they are rarely at market rent and we usually do nothing more than acknowledge a lease exists but give it no value because the landlord and tenant are related entities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.