1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Athena Problems--Need advice

Discussion in 'a la mode (TOTAL)' started by Don Clark, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    Everything has been running great, until today. One my computer, and my sons computer(we are not networked). When I went to "print" an Aurora print page tried to pop up. I closed out of total, then went back in and everything works OK. My son had just finished a report, was loading a map page and data started to disapear from the report. The file is so corrupted now that we may have to delete the file and start over again. Instead of numbers and words in some blocks all we have is symbols that appear to be square or round. We can delete them but cannot type anything back in the block. Also, some script was changed fro upper case to lower case. Anyone know what the hell is going on, have similar problems, or have a solution? I had to close up before I could call tech support. Wifes birthday. Out to dinner with her and the family. I will check back before calling tech support tomorrow. Could an update have caused that?

2. Charles West

Charles West Sophomore Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Athena Problems

Could be alot of things Don-Athena is inherently unstable and things keep changing with the updates-not always for the good. Based upon what you stated it sounds like a memory problem-as in possibly not enough. Check the amount of physical memory you have as well as your virtual memory settings. Increase the latter if you can. It seems that I have experienced the thing your seeing but that was years ago with Windows 98. You don't indicate what operating system your using but XP Pro is the only one I would recommend at this time. By this time you have probably exited the Wintotal program and saved. This likely would lose the data you and your son inputed. If you see that corruption again exit without saving, reboot and run tech assistant to reload wintotal system files. That may help.

3. josephdifranco

josephdifranco Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    Not unstable

Athena is generally considered a stable program by most users, don't know where that comment comes from. Starting from the ground up, you might restart your computers, give a full minute of rest at least, then see if its still a problem.

A doubt it could possibly be a memory problem, this was too sudden and on 2 different computers. However, could not hurt to just open Athena and no other programs when you try to start again.

Sorry I don't have anything beyond that for you, as an Athena user I've had almost no problems whatsoever. If that basic advice does nothing, you'll have to call tech support.

Let us know how it turns out,

4. Robert Smoote

Robert Smoote Junior Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    IT Professional-Appraisal Related
    State:
    Texas
    Could it be that Charles meant to say "Aurora" instead of Athena? I haven't a clue on this, so my question/remark is not getting into the whole WinTOTAL debate(s) - I was just looking at the thread and was wondering if he used the wrong product name... (?)

(OK, did I CMA well enough on that one? LOL I don't want my comments mis-read and then get flamed by someone... Just trying to help)

5. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    Got great assist from tech support. Tried everything they suggested. Even copied the file on to a new computer. Best I can tell you is that the file was so corrupted that we deleted it and started over again. But, tech support worked with me several times, and a total(no pun intended) of over an hour. Must have been a glitch, a bug, or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.