1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Avoid Property Taxes

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Tom Woolford, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Woolford

Tom Woolford Elite Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
  2. Jonah

Jonah Junior Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Utah
    So that is where I went wrong.

3. icisic7

icisic7 Senior Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    It says Governor on the side. Can't they afford a decent governor's mansion? :rof:

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    Looks like migrant worker housing to me. Just move them from coast to coast... cabbage here, strawberries there, avocados over there, De Agave down there.

5. JRS at OBX

JRS at OBX Elite Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Underwriting stip:

1. Appraiser to verify that "boat" foundation is typical for subject's market.

2. Appraiser to mark flood zone.

3. Appraiser to give site value in cost approach.

4. Appraiser to mark "bilge" under sewer

5. Appraiser to include 3 more comparable sales with a similar quality of construction within 3 nautical miles.

6. Kristina Ledesma

Kristina Ledesma Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    Avoid property taxes?
    A few years ago I went into a home, the husband was going to be going to jail for tax evasion and the wife (soon to be ex-wife) met me. Apparently, there is some guru that led him to believe that he could get away with not paying any form or tax, it was his constitutional right.

Well, the IRS caught up with him. They were refinancing to pay back all the taxes and penalties (7-10 years worth). He had placed signs on the mail box "Attention IRS or other government officials, you do not have the right to set foot on my property and if you do you will be tresspassing" then it went on to say something about the right to bear arms, I can't remember verbatium....

7. Jim Mallon

Jim Mallon Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    California
    Sounds like the Montana Freemen from a few years back.

We had a guy out here (in California) who posted a sign on his property claiming that because of the original Spanish land grant he didn't have to pay taxes -- or his mortgage, conveniently enough -- on the property.
    I couldn't really read the document he xeroxed on the sign so I asked him about it (by phone, because all the No Tresspassing signs were pretty threatening) and he explained it was a copy of the deed from the Spanish land owner to President James Buchanan.
    Somehow in his twisted logic, that document meant the property was his, free-and-clear of any financial obligation to any agency or juridiction.
    Needless to say, one day the sheriff dragged him outta there and the property was foreclosed and sold at auction.

8. JRS at OBX

JRS at OBX Elite Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Oh yeah, I have to pay personal property taxes on my boat anyway.

9. Tom Woolford

Tom Woolford Elite Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Yeah, but $35 on a boat registration beats $3500 for an improved piece of Real Estate. Although the "boat" I posted looks like a floating Wh*re House.

10. Walter Kirk

Walter Kirk Senior Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    I'm sure that New Jersey could figure out how to tax it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.