1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Basement kitchen, no permit

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by LAURIE ROCCHIO, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAURIE ROCCHIO

LAURIE ROCCHIO New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Rhode Island
    i have an fha appraisal for a house with a 2nd kitchen in the basement. After speaking with the building inspector, it appears that no permit was pulled for the basement kitchen. This kind of thing is common for the area, but because it is fha, must i stip it? i can't find anything that addresses this specifically in the minimum standards.

2. Walter Kirk

Walter Kirk Senior Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    How complete is the kitchen? Is it a room with appliances, cabinets and flooring or is it a stove and refrigerator located near the basement sink?

3. fifteen

fifteen Senior Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Washington
    Could it be called a fancy wet bar or a fully functional kitchen comparable in quality to the rest of the subject? Do you actually need a permit to install a 2nd kitchen or full convenience wet bar? Around here you don't.

4. LAURIE ROCCHIO

LAURIE ROCCHIO New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Rhode Island
    it's a fully functional kitchen, no doubt about it. a permit is required for work done in the basement. that is the heart of the matter, how far do we have to go on an fha? the kitchen does not appear to pose any safety issues, everthing APPEARS to be installed professionally, but no permit.....so, must i stip?

5. TC

TC Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'm guessing the owner is Italian, so it's only normal to have a 2nd kitchen. :)

6. TC

TC Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    The only reason I would see a concern was if the basement was being used as a rental property and that's why the kitchen is there. In my market, basement kitchens are fairly normal. Prior to the day when everyone could afford air conditioning, it was fairly common to use the "summer kitchen".

7. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.