1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bedroom definition

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Mike Seward, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Seward

Mike Seward Senior Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    I was told many years ago by a Chase UW that, closet or no closet, a room can't be classified as a bedroom if one must have to go through a public room to gain access to a bathroom. (A room that opens to the living room, for example.)

If correct, does anyone have a source for that definition?

Thanks

2. Abester

Abester Senior Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    What do the buyers and sellers think the room is for?

A lot of older houses required every one of the 13 kids in the upstairs 3 bedrooms to go through the living room and the kitchen to get the one bath (that was added after the outhouse got too cold or the black widows got to numerous).

3. Em Tee

Em Tee Senior Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Consider the source. m2:

4. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Definition of a bedroom:

A room where you are required to perform certain exercises, acrobatics or gymnastics in order to maintain harmonious home.

Single people: A room where you wish you were required to perform certain exercises, acrobatics or gymnastics in order to maintain harmonious home.

Teenagers: A room that your parents will not enter only under the most strenuous conditions.

Cat: a place to hide from your staff of carbon base humans during the day.

Dog: A place that you can demand ½ or more of the bed that your humans were hoping to occupy.

5. RSW

RSW Elite Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Master Bedroom = Play Room!

6. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    It's still a bedroom if you have to walk through another room to get to the bathroom. If it's not usual in your area, you might ding it for functional obsolescence if your data can support it.

7. realbiz

realbiz Junior Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I agree with Smokey. I looked at a small duplex this week with each unit having one bedroom that was a walk through (these are one bedroom units). This floor plan was pretty much typical of the area (same builder many years ago).

8. Non Sequitur

Non Sequitur Elite Member
    Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Louisiana
    This is one of those "UW" urban legends that's been around for a long time. If it were true, a good part of my market having been built before indoor plumbing, would have no bedrooms.

9. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Shoot, in the Victorian I used to live in, the toilet was a later add-on, literally on the back porch, a 50 ft. walk from my bedroom.

10. Walter Kirk

Walter Kirk Senior Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    A bedroom is a room that can is large enough to hold a bed, has a window for ventilation and a closet for storage. Pass through situations are functional obsolescence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.