1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bragging Of Blackmailing Appraiser

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Tawfik Ahdab, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tawfik Ahdab

Tawfik Ahdab Senior Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    I found this on Broker Outpost.

See the post by Tsnyder:

http://www.brokeroutpost.com/loans/brokers...p?TOPIC_ID=4886

2. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for post this. I can use it as a reference in a response to the state on another complaint that was filed on me for being rude to the LO.

This kind of thing just lights the fuse that will cause an explosion of verbal abuse, if they continue to press the matter.

The appraiser covered his back side at least by going back out.

3. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Tawfik,

Thanks for the link.

I enjoyed your comments. You are knowledgeable and gave that guy the straight scoop. But, I doubt he will take it to heart.

4. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    To All,

Actually, this reinforces my feelings that a large group of us need to invade mortgage broker forums and start setting them all straight on these matters.

Barry Dayton

5. Annemieke Roell

Annemieke Roell Senior Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    Oklahoma
    I have found the Brokers Outpost to be a great vehicle to educate mortgage people as well as weeding out the ones who I never want to do work for. And it is very encouraging to see several appraisers responding to some of the myths being perpetuated there.

One thing I am wondering about ..... why are only a few of us willing to use our real names on there?

6. Rudy Canoza

Rudy Canoza Senior Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Actually, this reinforces my feelings that the only good mortgage broker is an incarcerated mortgage broker... [​IMG]

/I'm just sayin'...

7. George Hatch

George Hatch Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    In terms of attitudes I think their group is just as diverse as is ours'. I don't think going over there and getting militant is the most effective way to get our message across - I think the most effective way is to do it just like we do here when one of our own is way out over the top. We acknowledge and reinforce that which is reasonable and explain why there are better options for the things that are unreasonable.

We agree with the portions of the viewpoints that we agree with, acknowledge the legitimate motivations of even the unreasonable viewpoints, to the extent there are any, and above all try to avoid the kind of insider bashing that we can do among our own. After all we are not insiders over there, we are guests.

The person who commented that the homeowners will never be put in charge of engaging appraisals to be used for mortgage purposes is right, though. FIRREA requires the regulated institutions to use appraisals that are either directly engaged by them or are engaged by their agents - this is where the MBs come in. If anything, we'd rather have the "or it's agent" removed from the appraisal engagement loop. Make the party whose money it is, the party who is held directly accountable for the appraisals they use, make that party the only one allowed to engage appraisals. Remove the middleman from the loop.

------------------

The use of nicknames is encouraged over there - When in Rome.... Personally, I'm not hot to use my real name over there because I don't want to "advertise" my services to a group of consumers that I try to avoid in the first place.

I'd be more concerned about people saying things they wouldn't otherwise normally say if not for the anonymity factor. We can't expect to engender any credibility over there if we all act like its a holy war. Maybe we should ask Roger to be our designated spokesmouth. He seems to like to find the middle ground in these issues.

8. Rudy Canoza

Rudy Canoza Senior Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    The truth is never anonymous...

9. Bill Baughn

Bill Baughn Senior Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Nevada
  10. Annemieke Roell

Annemieke Roell Senior Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    Oklahoma
    I think that if one attempts to educate others and be credible, one ought to identify oneself.

For example, the person who "set me straight" on the new regs on ordering appraisals .... if I had known the identity of that poster I may have been able to either discount it or taken it to heart. :shrug:

You can turn down any client you want. Besides, I don't think those people will be looking at us for appraisals anyway. They are looking for Skippy Appraisals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.