Can an appraiser do a BPO?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Nikolay Pavlov, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolay Pavlov

Nikolay Pavlov Sophomore Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    Can an appraiser do a BPO?

2. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Mr. Pavlov,

Does a BPO contain within it an opinion of value? .. Answer: Yes. ... When an appraiser arrives at an opinion of value is this a real estate appraisal? .. Answer: Yes.... Are real estate appraisers allowed to do real estate appraisals? .. Answer: Yes.

So, ... YES!

Webbed.

3. Midwest Guy

Midwest Guy Senior Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Missouri
    Sure,

Call it a BPO, just make damn sure you address each standard and each rule in USPAP. Might get pretty lengthy.

4. James Morris

James Morris New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Banking/Mortgage Industry
    State:
    Michigan
    In some states appraisers cannot do BPOs. I can't think of them off the top of my head. In other states, like Michigan, appraisers HAVE to do BPOs; a broker cannot do them. There are other states like this. If I can dig up info when I have time I'll give more details. I have to go watch the Tigers turn everything around and stomp the Twins :new_smile-l:

5. Walter Kirk

Walter Kirk Senior Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    Can you do a BPO, Yes, Just be sure that you comply with USPAP and keep a complete file.

Should you do a BPO, NO!!!, BRO's are used instead of appraisals and they undermine the economic and professional status of appraisers.

6. 38Scarcello

38Scarcello Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Washington
    Hmmmmm.......BPO's for $50 a pop sound fun! How else can one put their appraiser certification (after spending years working towards) to good use? You get to drive to subject....drive past all the comparables.....drive past all the listings...and two hours later get back to the office with more work to do. Minus gas, time, etc....you get to net about $6 bucks.

7. Doug Smith SRA

Doug Smith SRA Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Montana
    A O-21

Probably a good idea to read up on the issue of Brokerage and Appraisal in USPAP Advisory Opinion 21. Know that price is a "fact" and and value is an opinion.

An appraiser needs to call a BPO a market analysis to help establish an asking price or some other type name rather than a Broker's Price Opinion. Calling the report a BPO would be misleading if you are not a broker.

I would shift into a cost accounting mode during the process and test the cost effectiveness.

Lastly consider the liability issue. Think of the poor prize fighter. A guy that pops another guy in the nose can be charged with misdemeanor assault. Put a prize fighter in a bar and when he pops a guy in the nose he is charged with felony assault because he is a trained fighter. An appraiser is a trained professional and therefore liability is higher.

Doug

8. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    I assume you ask this question relevant to the USPAP.

A broker may perform a BPO.

A licensed appraiser can not provide a BPO; any opinion of value by the licensed appraiser is correctly known as an "appraisal".

If the licensed appraiser is also a licensed broker...and if the client comes to this person in their role as a broker, in such an instance the broker may perform a BPO.

9. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    This also means if an appraiser pops a MBer or an UWer in the nose, as in theory they are also trained professionals, that this should be back to only a misdemeanor. If done while in a ring, it's a prize fight!

Webbed.

10. EVAUSA

EVAUSA Junior Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I had the same question in my last USPAP class and the senses was NO! The reason was because I'm not a "Broker", so it wouldn't be a Broker Price Opinion. See if they will accept it on a general form, but dont use the BPO form unless you are a licensed broker, it's misleading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.