1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Can I Call It A Bedroom?

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by Erin Calhoun, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin Calhoun

Erin Calhoun New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Doing an appraisal where upper level dimensions of home is 6 X 26, it does have 2 windows. Can I call this a bedroom or is it a finished attic. Room is currently being used a bedroom for toddler. Can anyone tell me are there any restictions on what constitutes a bedroom? Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Farm Gal

Farm Gal Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Nebraska
    Does it have adequate head-height, window egress and HVAC? <_< .
    6 foot IS sufficent to put in a small bed sideways...

3. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Does it have adequate access to bath without traffic through the main living area? Just adding comments here.

4. Randolph Kinney

Randolph Kinney Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Does it have a closet? No closet, maybe it cannot be counted as a bedroom.

Henry Harrison has a book, HOUSES, that attempts to define bedroom in 10 pages where talks about size, windows, lighting, closet, etc.

There is HUD guideline.

5. Randy Beigh

Randy Beigh Senior Member

Jan 16, 2002
    My answer is different.

This is appraising and you can do almost anything you want to do as long as you explain the whats and whys. Some clients as well as Fannie or FHA might have specific guidelines.

My actual answer is, how does your market view this space? Appraisers are analysts for their market. For me, it doesn't matter what ANSI might say or what the rest of us might say. What does your market say?

I use basement bedrooms as an example for our market. For decades, folks had been putting their kids in basement rooms with small windows. But, about 15 years ago, they started to put egress windows in and that was code. But, the market continued to buy those houses with the small windows and putting their kids down there. So, we called them basement bedrooms. In the past couple of years, that has changed. The market is afraid to put kids into those rooms and we no longer count them as basement bedrooms, unless the egress windows have been installed.

6. Nancy Wyatt

Nancy Wyatt Senior Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I agree with Randy to a degree, BUT their may still be functional issues when it accepted in the market. Is is curable or incurable?

7. Farm Gal

Farm Gal Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Nebraska
    Randy:

I agree, and ...came veeery close to adding the tag "and most imptortantly what does your market say"... but then I gave it a little more thought.

'calling' it a bedroom has one implication for a local lender... and a potentially different significance for a lender who is out of area, and may be accustomed to diffferent standards and definitions. Anyone asking this question may not have a full handle on the raminfications of fast "what does your market think" answers! (Sorry, Erin, I am not trying to throw rocks at your educational effort!)

I would be very careful to FIRST answer the questions as per my post above... In some jurisdictions that 'attic room' (whatever you call it) may be as ILLEGAL as a 'bedroom' as the space in the basement you mentioned! (Due to fire egress: lack of exterior located steps)

A prudent appraiser would have those answers before deciding on which line(s) to report the 'finished space' or what to call it!

I might elect to use one of the bottom lines on page 1 of our 'old' urar room count grid and include it (or not) as GLA if it were 'illegal' but market accepted as/not as a bedroom! Same applies to the market grid. If it has full market acceptance but remains 'illegal' as a bedroom, I'd opt for one of the blank lines at the bottom *with explanation*.

8. Timothy Wixted

Timothy Wixted Junior Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Why do you need to call it a bedroom? How many other bedrooms does the subject property have?

Tim

9. DTB

DTB Elite Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    'calling' it a bedroom has one implication for a local lender... and a potentially different significance for a lender who is out of area, and may be accustomed to diffferent standards and definitions

It doesn't matter what a lender 2000 miles might view it as. The market is not 2000 miles away and the way the market views it is the way we should view it.

Who are we to "correct" the market opinion of what it is???

10. Julie Sheehan

Julie Sheehan New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    I may not know much yet, but I think I am pretty clear on what a bedroom is....All this double talk and rules and regulations is making me dizzy!!! A bedroom has to have a heat source, a door, a window and the entrance cannot be through another significant room, such as another bedroom or a bathroom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.