1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Changing "free form" line styles

Discussion in 'Apex' started by FoxtrotTango, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoxtrotTango

FoxtrotTango New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Minnesota
    I KNOW I used to be able to do this on an older version of Apex-but with the latest "upgrades" I can not for the life of me find out how to change the line style for free form, the F5 function. The reason I ask is that because the free form lines come out to faint on my hard copy/file copy to read, or any printed copy for that matter. I am a member of the old school and include interior lines in my sketches. I wandered thru the on line manual and "help" to no avail

Upgrades aren't
    Tech support doesn't
    Help isn't

TYIA.

2. Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    I do detailed sketches. Are your free form lines lighter than mine? I am using the latest version of Medina. But I can't find where you change the free form size/color either but my sketches look fines the way they are.

Attached Files:

3. George Hatch

George Hatch Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    You can get to the line formats three ways that I know of:

1 - on the command pad there's a button "line style"

2 - you can right click the line and pick the "line attributes" dialog

3 - you can go in off the menu bar at the top to "edit" "fonts and lines" and choose "line properties".

There are probably a couple other ways, too.

FYI, for interior doorways I usually use the eraser symbol, resize it to 3x3 and drop it onto the solid lines. It's super fast and I don't have to sweat getting my interior walls straight. YMMV

Attached Files:

4. Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Thank you George--I have tried that through the years but it doesn't apply to free form. I have done that for calculated areas occasionally.

5. EDWARD BERRY

EDWARD BERRY Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    Which Way Do The Doors Swing On The Bedrooms?

Smart Alex In Arkansas.

Really The Drawing Is Very Good-ed

6. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Senior Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Professional Status:
    IT Professional-Appraisal Related
    State:
    Texas
    FoxtrotTango,

What version do you have? Select "about" from the Help menu and give me the version number and date shown.

With Medina (aka v4) one of the "upgrades" (LOL) was to make changing Free Form lines easier and to add a Default" setting. This was a user request because it wasn't really accessible in earlier versions.

Anyway, if you let me know what version you have, I will be happy to guide you to the right place... :) Assuming you have a v4 product and want to just get straight to it, look on the Configuration dialog to set the default (see image below.) If you want to change Free Form lines en masse after you have already drawn them, select Free Form lines from the Edit/Select menu. Once they are selected, using the change Linestyle function should work.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
    ..Apex Software..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  7. Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Thank you Randall--got it now changed--never thought of looking in Default for free form lines. Oh by the way, any chance to get an L shaped shower icon? The subject sketch had an L shaped shower in the master bath, I finally decided to just put a rectangular one in--although I guess I could have used two icons--one a small square.

I don't put the swing of the bedroom doors but my closets are unique. If you notice you have to open the closet door for the room where it is located to read the word closet. I just sketch the dimension to the door opening instead of using the eraser--although I do use the eraser at times when the wall is at an odd angle or maybe curved. Like I have said before doing a sketch in Apex is more fun than Etch A Sketch or any computer games!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.