1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Check 2 boxes Neighborhood and Housing Trend Section

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Metamorphic, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Senior Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Is there any reason you cant check 2 boxes in those sections? Like maybe you want to say a neighborhood is on the outskirts of a suburban area with some rural flavor, or that the market is declining but verging on stable?

I get tired of trying to figure out which box to put the wobblers in. Why not check both.

2. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    The solution to your problem is called narrative discussion. Hard concept for some appraisers.

3. Doug DeMars

Doug DeMars Senior Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Do you like to ask for stips?:blush:

4. jay trotta

jay trotta Elite Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Connecticut
    The training & scan products developed for Banks, do not read (2) checked boxes, chek one and move on. If you ever need to defend it, the software manufactuerrrr does not allow (2) boxes to be checked at the same time. A flaw in their system.

PS- the sytems are flawed

5. Eli Weiss

Eli Weiss Senior Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    How about check all three, you'll get at least 1 right, for example, if the market just came out of the decline, and prices are slightly increasing, then you'll want to have the decline box checked off as compared to last year the prices declined, but are similar to the pricing of last quarter, which indicates stability, and some of the under contract listings indicate a increase in value....:unsure:

But then again, the term "declining" does not represend the past nor the future, but rather the present market condition.:leeann:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. jay trotta

jay trotta Elite Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Connecticut
    Eli - "But then again, the term "declining" does not represend the past nor the future, but rather the present market condition"

can you send a copy of that to the appropriate Lending facilities..........I think they're confused

7. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I think we need more boxes!

A good start would be "Stable to Declining" and "Declining to Stable"/

Have been told checking two boxes is a "no no". One underwriter said..."it has to be one or the other", so what is it? I replied..."it is what it is!" She didn't like that either.

8. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Check either one but with an asterick rather than an X. Then explain.

9. vanguard

vanguard Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Minnesota
    the software manufactuerrrr does not allow (2) boxes to be checked at the same time. A flaw in their system.

Try holding the "Ctrl" key down on the keyboard

10. Denis DeSaix

Denis DeSaix Elite Member

May 16, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Checking both boxes creates confusion (IMO) and the analysis is supposed to be communicated with clarity.
    My process is to choose one box and then to explain how/why I define it as such (to the degree that is necessary to make the communication clear).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.