1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Client switched from FHA to Conventional and asked to have appraised as-is

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by kevinhenley, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinhenley

kevinhenley New Member

May 11, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    I appraised a home that has missing and some chipping paint on rear of house. Subject was built prior to 1978 so the FHA appraisal I completed was subject-to. The client asked me to switch to conventional and complete with an as-is value. Is this acceptable?

2. Lost Cause

Lost Cause Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    It is acceptable, and it's between you and your client what you might charge for this new assignment (with a different scope of work).

3. HF Mudd

HF Mudd Senior Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    IMO, this is acceptable if the client orders a new appraisal (as the scope of work is now different) with a new effective date, new inspection and new fee. What you charge your client is a business decision on your part.

This is NOT acceptable if they just want you to change the report you have already delivered.

4. zdfenton

zdfenton Junior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I disagree. Yes, this must be treated as a new assignment, but you do not need a new effective date and new inspection. USPAP FAQ 173 states "A new assignment does not mean that you must start from scratch. You must decide the appropriate scope of work for the new assignment. This would include a decision as to whether or not it is necessary to perform another inspection" Changing the report date, but not the effective date should be sufficient.

5. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    wrong...although you could do it that way...
    exactly....

And I would charge for my time to reappraise it. That's a business decision... when folks brag they can fill the form in 45 minutes, I don't know why they think they need more than that to change to report....so a modest fee of a couple hours by the hour would seem a reasonable assessment in most assignments.

6. Eric C

Eric C Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida

AGREE.....

7. AnonApprsr

AnonApprsr Elite Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Massachusetts
    If it's the same effective date, I would not charge anything more for this new assignment. The original invoiced amount would stay.

8. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Hmmmm ... We should have some fun with this. Ok then, the same prior effective date is just fine and there is very little work to do. All because we have a FAQ to point to.

What if the original appraisal effective date was 10/05/2004?

9. HF Mudd

HF Mudd Senior Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    You're free to do so, but since I don't know the reason for the change in the assignment, and it is MY license on the line (and therefore my decision to make), I feel more comfortable performing a new inspection. If the client doesn't like it, they are free to hire another appraiser to deliver an appraisal which meets their new assignment conditions.

I guess being a jaded New Yorker has taken its toll on me.

10. zdfenton

zdfenton Junior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I don't think there's anything wrong with charging for it (I wouldn't), but I just wanted to make clear its a business decision and not a compliance issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.