1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Clipboard recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by JL1313, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL1313

JL1313 Sophomore Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    Arizona
    Can't seem find anything local or online that matches what I want. Just wondering if anyone has run across something like it.

What I want is a non-metal clipboard with storage compartment that is big enough for legal paper. It would be a plus if it had a built in calculator. Looking for something non-metal as I don't think that would do very well in the 120 degree summers...

Thanks in advance.

2. The Dog

The Dog Senior Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
  3. JL1313

JL1313 Sophomore Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    Arizona

Thanks, that was quick.

Still looking for something to hold legal paper (8.5" x 14") and non-metalic.

I do like that one though.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    iPad... Alamode DaVinci works great.

5. JL1313

JL1313 Sophomore Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    Arizona
    Yeah, I'm sure it does. However a little out of my budget at the moment.

By the way, am I correct by assuming DaVinci does not work with ACI?

6. Mountain Man

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    No, the sketch app is free and you can save the image as a Jpeg to import.

BTW, you can buy an older iPad 2 on line without a data plan, just use in WiFi zones, for less than $200. That's what one of our appraisers did, just to be able to sketch, take notes, and surf the net on WiFi.

7. JL1313

JL1313 Sophomore Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    Arizona

Actually throwing my own thread off topic...but how would you say using DaVinci on iPad relates to good old pen and paper? Speed, accuracy, etc. You got me thinking now....

8. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    The one I was the most happy with was one I made myself. A piece of 1/8" thick masonite 9"x15". Two large rubber bands...one near the top and one near the bottom. On one side of the board was a yellow legal pad, on the other was my check list. Between the board and the pad was the list of questions I gave to the HO.

This way I never carried extra papers through the house...only what I needed. If I needed more than one sheet of yellow paper, I just tore it off, folded it and put it in my pocket. It was reasonably lightweight. The rubber bands could also be used to hold a pencil/pen, or a small calculator, etc.

When I got back to the car all of the sheets for that house came off the board and were put in the job folder.

9. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Finding anything that will accommodate legal size is a challenge.

Just get a regular legal size, old fashioned clipboard from office depot for a couple of dollars. Once you're in the field you won't have time to deal with a calculator, all you really need is a pencil, and you can hang your camera around your neck.

The less "gear" the better.

10. Mountain Man

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    Yes, all the above. Grab a hold of technology and learn how to upgrade from scratching on paper. You could even use your iPad while your boss uses his legal pad, compare notes and see who's system is better. Or just use your system in conjunction with his to help you learn more and become more efficient. Once you get over the leaning curve, it'll feel natural.