Collect Before Getting In Your Car!

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Darrell Hignite, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrell Hignite

Darrell Hignite Sophomore Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
    I have added a link to my AppraiserUSA.com listing that sends me an email that says, "YOU HAVE MONEY" and it's a great addition to my collection process. I get paid before I get in my car. It's so simple, here's how it works....

1. I get an appraisal order for C.O.D.
    2. I call to set up the appointment
    3. I tell them I will pick up cash or I accept credit cards
    4. They prefer (If they have them) credit card
    5. They give me their 16 numbers and I run them or they go to Appraiserusa.com and enter my zip code to find my lising, they then run their credit card for the agreed amount for the appraisal.
    6. I get an email, and I'm paid.
    7. I have a happy day.
    8. I present them with a form to sign allowing me to charge their account at the inspection.

Don't hesitate, before Wayne set this service up, I would get one or two a month, now it's one or two a week. Check it out for your self, click here for http://appraiserusa.com and then enter my zip code of 27858, click on my VIEW box to the left of my name and look for the Paypal logo. What do you have to lose, better yet, you have a lot to gain. Good luck and Happy Appraising. :dance:

2. Stephanie Welch

Stephanie Welch Guest

Top Poster Of Month

That is really cool! How do I found out what it would cost to accept payments via paypal. I do paypal with Ebay, but I've never thought of doing it with the business. Why not, it makes great sense. We have clients asking all the time if we accept credit cards.

Thanks for the info.

3. Will43

Will43 Senior Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Just be aware that if the value comes in low, you may get a charge back. :D

4. Darrell Hignite

Jul 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    There are no charge backs if you have a form giving you permission in writing. That's the reason for the form that they sign at the time of the inspection. I have even gotten the credit card at the time of the inspection with the form signed.

If you already have a pay pal account, use it and don't get another one. Pay pal only gets a small percentage of the fee and you could even mark the fee up a few bucks to cover that cost.

The Big question is, will you do it??????

5. Dave Fitch

Dave Fitch Junior Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Indiana
    I am interested, but how would a signed form still stop someone from contesting a payment? Please explain. :)

6. cj scillieri

cj scillieri New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    I'm not 100% sure but I am pretty familiar with Paypal. If there is a contested transaction, Paypal will contact the account holder. It's like a mediation process. I would assume that if you have a signed form allowing you to charge a customer's account for a specific purpose, an appraisal in this case, and you can provide proof that the assignment was completed, then Paypal's mediation process should rule in your favor. The only problems I have heard is that sometimes Paypal will tie up funds for months while handling disputes. Hope this helps a bit.

CJ :beer:

7. Dave Fitch

Dave Fitch Junior Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Indiana
    But what if the customer was not pleased with the appraisal and refused to pay for it? :(

8. Darrell Hignite

Jul 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    You would still have the signed agreement. Why do you want to think the worst. Why not think of the up side. I don't see the glass half empty, it's always half full. :dance:

9. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Alabama
    It doesn't matter how full it is when it gets dumped in your lap.

IF, your right and they can't charge you back I am all for it. But I quit using PayPal for payments because it was to easy for an agry homeowner to get the charges reversed. Paypal doesn't understand Appraising, they understand unhappy users!

Lets try to get to the bottom of this and find out the truth. This could be a good thing if you right. And I hope you are! I have just been cheated too many times to jump in.

10. Darrell Hignite

Jul 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Jeff, I unlike many of you, do have a merchants account to charge my students when they take my classes. I have only had one charge reversed on me in many years. If you are paranoid about using Pay pal, then don't. You can open your own merchant's account. I feel that it is ridiculous for all the appraisers in America to have a merchant's account and Pay pal is perfect for them. Take this new idea with the vigor that it is offered with. Make mo money..... :dance:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.