1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comps Inc....GeoData....???

Discussion in 'New York' started by David Wimpelberg, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Wimpelberg

David Wimpelberg Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    Now that Suffolk County has pulled the deeds offline, I'm going to have to subscribe to an additional data service. We have Suffolk Profiles and Research for the east end, but I need a verification source for the up-island reviews.

I'm fairly familiar with Comps Inc. How's GeoData? I tried out a demo a few years ago, and it seemed resource intensive; it really worked slow on my computer.

Does anyone have a recommendation of which to use, or are their other sources?

Thanks!

2. Glenn Redo

Glenn Redo Sophomore Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    Geo Data Inc. verses Comps Inc.

I have used both services. They are very similar in data and presentation, flood maps, census tracts. In Nassau, Queens, Brooklyn both are fantastic because you get to see true buyer/seller (corporations), building sketch and pictures (not always up to date though). In Suffolk after Riverhead. They are fair to good and merely compliment Suff Prfile. I have heard that Geo Data was formed by a former partner in Comps Inc.. Comps Inc. is more money, Geo Data is open to negotiation on there fees and services, but they are virtually the same product. If you can bring guys in with you Geo will cut rates further per county

3. Tony V

Tony V Elite Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Dave,

I had used Comps Inc in the past...I now use geoData...I feel that Geo Data is better....the mapping program is much more accurate, the last update for Suffolk is 3/9/2006....The updates are done automatically when you open the program....The most annoying thing about it is it seems that all new construction is giving the Street # as 1.......The North Haven sheets I sent you were from GeoData....Ckeck out the info that I sent against Comps Inc that you have........In that area...it would be a good indicator..Of course noting beats Southampton GIS....

Tony

4. David Wimpelberg

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    You can bet I have a subscription to that...Some people don't realize it, but they also have copies of applications, permits, CO's, surveys, and other documentation (for areas outside the villages) in the documents section. Those documents are extremely helpful when the assessor's info isn't updated, and they are currently way behind, especially on new homes.

Thanks for the info guys...I'm leaning towards GeoData, mainly because my dad already has Comps Inc.

5. Tony V

Tony V Elite Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Dave...if/when you go to do it let others on this forum know...Glenn is right about getting a better deal if you have a couple of appraisers interested.....Be sure to talk to Eric...if you what you can mention my name...however thier goes the discount....:new_blowingup:

Tony

6. David Wimpelberg

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    I checked out their website and didn't see any prices. Do they charge somewhere around the usual $600/year for a data service...without your name mention, of course!:new_all_coholic:

7. Tony V

Tony V Elite Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    seems to be the going rate...........I did get a bit of a deal with them as I am affiliated with several Companies that also have them..

8. Glenn Redo

Glenn Redo Sophomore Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Geo

David,
    Prices (GEO) depend more on the county and how many counties you wish to purchase. GEO Website is now in beta testing. Phone # 516-663-0721

P.S.
    Mr Vosilla is that a new and improved avatar I see

9. David Wimpelberg

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Thanks Glenn...I just need Suffolk.

Tony told me that he was going to put that avatar up when he bowled a perfect game!:coolsmiley:

10. Tony V

Tony V Elite Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    i did not bowl a perfect game last nite.....I do have 2 to my credit and 2 299's......I put the avatar up (actually it is an old one at my kids insistence........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.