1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Coupons

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Candas Wall, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candas Wall

Candas Wall New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    I had considered setting up a credit system for Brokers and lenders that was similar to your coffee card. Based on volume purchasing. However, after running it by this board I realized that the intentions could be misinterpreted to be not on the up and up. So After speaking to a few USPAP instructors...I am leaning toward using coupons. It is my understanding that USPAP has already approved them and I want to proceed with caution. Has anyone out there used coupons yet and if so would you be interested in sharing your idea's? Any input is appreciated

2. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    Do you have double and triple coupon days? :rofl:

It has been my experience that lenders are not worried about the cost of an appraisal as much as they are worried about the value on the appraisal. For instance, I was told by a loan officer yesterday that they paid $800 for a manufactured home appraisal, but it was worth it because it achieved the needed value.

3. Kate

Kate Senior Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Hampshire
    We have used them. We put little stickers on the back of our cards $25 off your first appraisal. They have worked very well. Loan officers seem to like them when they have a client who is debating every closing cost.

4. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Alabama
    This has been discussed seriously and in depth over at the Home Inspectors Forum. The fellow who started it has done very well with this idea and I am going to do this with my Home Inspection business. The ideal place is give these to lenders who then give them to the home buyers.

I think it could work with the Appraisal busiiness as well. I decided against it unless I could get them in the hands of individuals since I would like to do less broker and AMC work. Whatever you do track your results! And I think, I would need to re-read USPAP to be sure, that you should disclose in the Appraisal the discount. Even if I am wrong, it won't hurt anything a keeps you on the up and up.

5. Restrain

Restrain Elite Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    In Texas, they're illegal. Considered giving consideration in exchange for work.
    Check your state laws.

6. sam strahan

sam strahan Junior Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
  7. Candas Wall

Candas Wall New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    I guess that's the wonderful thing about this forum...is that you can voice your opinion. It seems to me that its only a kickback if its going to a specific person into their pocket. Such as actual money, nascar tickets, football tickets etc that is channeled to only one person. This is a coupon for the entire company for the broker to decide when and how to use it toward the appraisal invoices only!

8. Restrain

Restrain Elite Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    A kickback's a kickback, no matter how you dress that pig up.

9. Darrell Hignite

Darrell Hignite Sophomore Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Uspap states, the use of a coupon as a marketing tool would not be a violation of the Ethics Rule, however, a coupon for a reduced fee would be a thing of value connected to the procurement of an assignment. Therefore, proper disclosure must be made in the certification of the written report and in any transmittal letter in which value conclusions are stated.....

Question #23 in 2004 Appraisal Faq's Book.

10. Kate

Kate Senior Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Hampshire
    You ROCK!!! :flowers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.