1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Creative Writing and the 1004MC

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by AnonApprsr, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnonApprsr

AnonApprsr Elite Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Massachusetts
    I'm looking for a little brainstorming regarding the word "comparable" and the 1004MC. The comparable properties I'm gong to draw data from for the "gridding" of the form will of course contain the sales I eventually choose as the most comparable sales, but I did look at many more homes as comparable. Much like the typical buyer looks for a home. They may know they want a home in a certain location, or maybe a certain type of home such as a cape or a 8-4-2.5 colonial. So maybe they're are "20" comparable sales that I would consider when analyzing the market for value trends. That doesn't mean I would consider them all specifically for the value for the Subject property. I of course look at them, but may eliminate them for specific reasons, as an appraiser does.

I'd like to make the reader of the appraisal understand that process, and as a result a destinction between "the comparable sales" and "comparable sales." Such a foolish thing to bind an appraiser with a word on a form, but it is the way of Fannie and Freddie.

2. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    A few brief sentences similar to what you presented here should suffice as an explanation. Seriously.

3. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    "homes that would compete with the subject". (see the form instructs).

4. George Hatch

George Hatch Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I'd go with something like this:

5. AnonApprsr

AnonApprsr Elite Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Massachusetts
    Thanks George, that's the way I'm going with this. Your help is so appreciated.

Meh, can you select what brief sentences? I'd appreciate you, as my peer, throwing in your say. Thanks.

I'd love for a few more people to help out on this. I feel that a lot of you will be doing this form like this, because it's how I have (and probably you as well) been doing market trends anyway.

6. peggy

peggy Sophomore Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Thanks George

Peggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.