1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Custom Forms

Discussion in 'a la mode (TOTAL)' started by jdbiggers, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdbiggers

jdbiggers Senior Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    Remember back in the old days when a la mode had an SDK and you could create your own forms or modify theirs? They no longer release this, and I'm pretty sure it was probably only 16-bit since it was only out in the "old days." I downloaded it once, long ago, when I thought I was going to actually be able to use WinTotal. Didn't quite work out that way, though.

I haven't run my Aurora for a while (if I do, it will make the programs I need unusable), but I wonder how many would like this back?

It is possible - VERY possible - to do this again.

Is this something anyone would be interested in? Let me hear it.

(Listening, Dave Biggers? [no relation])

John-David Biggers

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  2. George Hatch

George Hatch Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Wasn't the main setback to that the fact that alamode was constantly installing updates and making user changes would lead to conflicts and incompatability issues? I mean, it seems like some Aurora users already consider it to be marginal in terms of stability. I can well imagine alamode taking an exclusion to their service contract in the event a user tampered with their program.

I run Athena (still) and I don't think alamode is doing any more updates on that platform, so I'd consider an add-on utility to edit some of my forms if I could have some idea that it wouldn't affect the stability of the system.

3. Michael Chu

Michael Chu Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    I'd be careful and not go there. It will void your EULA. I am not a lawyer, but I understand why they put it in.

4. jdbiggers

jdbiggers Senior Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    Haven't seen anything legally enforceable in it that would or even possibly could state that an individual is not allowed to create a file that their program happens to be able to read. They don't have exclusive rights to the English language, ASCII character sets, and what files we save using our other programs, most of which have been around longer than a la mode has been writing programs. The closest they have is item 5 of their license, which does NOT address the issue I am speaking of at all.

Nevertheless, watch. It won't be long. They'll respond.

5. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Battle of the Biggers.

6. jdbiggers

jdbiggers Senior Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    "Battle of the Biggers"

No Battle at all.

I just think they may see a need to reinstitute this.

John-David Biggers (no relation)

7. Tony Blackburn

Tony Blackburn Junior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    There is a vote here to have a tool to make my own forms in WinTotal

8. Michael Chu

Michael Chu Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    banner ads

I just want to remove the silly banner ad at the bottom of every form.
    Or get co-op advertisement credit for each report.

9. Rick Neighbors

Rick Neighbors Senior Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Forms

I don't have the knowledge or time to be making forms for appraising. I like using pre-made forms, and having input to the maker of those forms. That's why I bought my software, and why I use a computer instead of a typewriter. :) But I'm not opposed to others having that capability if Alamode wants them to.

I also don't mind having the Alamode "logo" on my forms. I have had positive input from lenders about Wintotal as a software company and I don't find it a problem to do a little advertising for them. I still have my company name at the top of the form.

I just reviewed the new GP Form that Alamode is developing and I am happily impressed. It's good to have a software company that tries to make my life easier. I also like the fact that I will have a "non-fnma" form to use, that doesn't try to make me feel like some sort of second class citizen, like the AI forms do.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.