1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Declined assignment after inspection, now being placed on Do Not Use List

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by Timothy Fierek, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timothy Fierek

Timothy Fierek Sophomore Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    After appraisal inspection declined assignment from AMC because it was located in a commercial retail convenience district surrounded by gas station, grocery store, etc. Upon accepting assignment there was no way to know this as it is located in a small community and I was not able to obtain zoning until they called me back after the inspection. I declined the assignment based on complexity and not being competent with that sort of property. The AMC has now placed me on a do not use list. This is a violation of the HVCC is it not?

2. OminousRun

OminousRun Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    I'm on dozens of AMC's "do not use lists".....mainly for charging too much money (in their eyes) for appraisals.

I don't think HVCC has anything to do with AMC's and the way they run their businesses. They can do as they please, that's the biggest problem with the HVCC and AMCs.

3. Lobo Fan

Lobo Fan Elite Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    There is a specific process for blacklisting an appraiser per the HVCC. I think they must notify you in writing and advise you of the appeal process. If you are still licensed you are not allowed to accept complex assignments with a value over $250,000. If true, you are simply complying with the law. I always thought that was one of the better thngs about being licensed. I could decline nasty assignments by citing this rule. I have walked away from more than one after inspection. HBU is an aspect that few residential appraisers are proficient enough, myself included.

4. Rhino

Rhino Junior Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Maryland
    Tim you are absolutely right if you do not feel you can produce a Credible report DO NOT DO IT. This is an HVCC violation. Call the AMC's HVCC/Complaint hotline.

5. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    This is like the second or third topic posted in more than one forum just in the last 24 hours.

Where's Kennedy when you need him?

6. Timothy Fierek

Timothy Fierek Sophomore Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    The AMC has not provided a number or email address to their HVCC/Complaint Hotline. Per the HVCC they are to notify each appraiser in a separate document the number and email address of the hotline and their purpose.

7. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico

Appraisers can be REMOVED from a list but they cannot be blacklisted ... a complete reading of the HVCC is in order.

8. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    Ah well....you can't dance with the vipers and not get bit occasionally.

9. Sean Sutton

Sean Sutton Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Missouri
    this sucks.....I have been placed on many AMC black lists over the past couple of years because I am short tempered....eventually I stopped dealing with them, now the other appraiser in my office does most of the AMC work(she is much more mild mannered...HA). It's unfortunate, but when they ask you to do something you don't agree with(and they always do...eventually), they just remove you from the list and move on. What can anyone do? I think in time this problem will take care of itself as there appraiser lists dwindle and they can't find appraiser's to work for them.

10. KYLECODY

KYLECODY Senior Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Yea, dont know about that one. Most people are patient and willing to accept quite a bit of crap before they have an outburst...Im not critizing you, Im a fellow hothead who have ruined many situations professionally and personally by not keeping my mouth shut. Ive learned not to answer my phone usually and to wait at least an hour or so before I respond to emails or messages that have angered me. As long as I can avoid kneejerk reactions I tend to deal ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.