1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Desktop Appraisals with Drive By Photos

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by Mohan Chhina, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mohan Chhina

Mohan Chhina New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I got email from one of the AMC's if I can do a Desk Top appraisal with Drive By Photos, and how much the fee . I have not done these but work is so slow I would like to get busy.
    Please help.

2. AnonApprsr

AnonApprsr Elite Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Massachusetts
    Please help with what? You can do anything you want as long as it's not violating USPAP or Local Laws. Of course you can do a drive by appraisal on a desktop form. Make sure you get a correct fee for such an expansion of the typical scope of work of a desktop appraisal. Go for it! Make sure you explain what you did in the SoW section in the report. Make sure you understand exactly what form they want the assignment completed on, check out the form prior to accepting the assignment, paying attention to any pre-printed SoW and such.

Good luck, and God Bless. I hope business picks up for you. Check out some of our older threads on getting new clients, there's some great advice.

3. Blueprint

Blueprint Senior Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Oregon
    Many appraisers across the country are performing desk tops w/ drivebys. I personally don't as I live an a highly complex market making them useless.

That said, before you take or reject the order, talk to the peep in friendly fashion. You don't know them, so at least give them a chance to explain themselves. Bug them with some detailed questions. What is the intended use, what are they willing to pay, is there a turn time, etc. It is your job to take control of the situation so you can comfortably accept the order under your terms.

4. Thomas Fiehler

Thomas Fiehler Senior Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    As long as there is adequate public records available and you are comfortable doing them there is no problem. Only difference is not getting out of the car.

5. Peter LeQuire

Peter LeQuire Elite Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Perhaps - it depends on what you are certifying you determined, or are assuming, about things that you can't see, and the extent that you will be held responsible for any assumptions that are incorrect.

6. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    So tell us--what's the intended use of this appraisal?

7. Ca Ar Independent

Ca Ar Independent Senior Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I've had several of these come across my desk lately. ALL have been high end properties with little or NO information available for public record and after requesting that the assignment be changed to a 1004 full,and doing a little digging in the process, I find that they are for Big Bank internal use. Oh ..and the fee for this? $150.00. NO THANK YOU!

8. NorthTexValuation

NorthTexValuation Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    The client is requesting a Drive By SOW reported on a Desktop form.

Unless the fee represents a typical 2055 exterior fee, you are working too cheap. They can have the report on a Desktop form, but I'm getting the Drive By fee or passing on the assignment. Minimum Drive By fee around here is $350. I'll bet they are offerring around $150 to you.

9. Lobo Fan

Lobo Fan Elite Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Somebody is pimping these things around here for $25.

10. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    A "Desk Top" appraisal is that. A "Drive-by" is that....therefore it is technically impossible to do both in one fell swoop. You are either doing a "desk top" appraisal or you are doing a drive by appraisal....If you are doing a drive by on a desk top form....well. Good wordsmithing to you as it would seem more hassle to caveat the DT from than it would take to do a 2055.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.