1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Dett Garage Vs Att Garage

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Trebor, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trebor

Trebor Junior Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Oklahoma
    Is there an adjustment if say for instance you're subject has an attached garage and the comps have detached garages?

2. Nancy Wyatt

Nancy Wyatt Senior Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    You have to look to your market for the answer to that. It may be different everywhere.

Look at the size of the garages also. A 20 X 20 "2-car" isn't very appealing. You can really only fit 2 small cars and maybe the garbage cans.

3. Baldwin

Baldwin Junior Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    I would first find out what is typical for the neighborhood. Are attached garages the norm or detached? An attached garage might be typical and the subject has an older detached garage, depending on the area, an adjustment might be warranted. Find out what is typical and expected for the area.

Bob

4. Chris Colston

Chris Colston Elite Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Not in my market. Car storage is car storage. Adjustments are made by the # of cars. Might see a slight a adjustment for getting wet vs staying dry, but in most areas it's not enough to put on the grid.

You have to determine what your market suggests.

5. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    If they are the same size and function, I do not make an adjustment. Ask yourself, do you find one superior over the other if you were a buyer trying to make a decision.

If the detached garage is bigger, say, it is a 32 x 40 shop with parking for 2 cars plus a shop area, etc. I might adjust according to what the market is telling me. And keeping in mind that such a building might be out of place in an urban area, but very desirable in the country.

6. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    FYI: Chris summed it up pretty well in stating "you haave to determine what YOUR market suggests."
    I couldn't have said it better, but I did want to add my "ditto".
    --Lee Lansford, IFA

7. William Cummings

William Cummings Sophomore Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    I want to add my ditto to Chris: A car storage is a car storage except when your market says otherwise. :rolleyes:

8. Doug in NC

Doug in NC Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    An appraiser in my market once found an adjustment of about $2K. Despite the higher cost of detached garages, he reasoned that the attached garages provide protection from the elements while a detached garage does not.

IMO, I might be willing to pay more for the detached garage with a finished room above as my office. This would give me some protection from the elements of wife and kids. :D

9. Joker

Joker Elite Member

May 28, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    The opposite school of thought are the 'noids that fear a car fire. These types do not want an attached garage in case the car catches fire, it won't burn the entire house with it.
    This market says a garage is a garage. Could be attached, detached, or in the form of a pole barn. Size is what matters.

10. LizBuchanan

LizBuchanan New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    In some high-end s/d's in our area, the market reflects that attached carports are equally attractive to the buying public. I suppose if you're in a gated community and not concerned about security, and if you have weekly landscape service so you don't have to own stuff like mower/rakes/edger/etc., a carport would work. It does have the advantage of showing off your new ride. <_<

However, I've had two folks from one of those toney neighborhoods call and ask if they could rent the extra spot in my real ENCLOSED garage before Hurricane Ivan hits in a few hours. HA! Where do they think the grill, the porch swing, and all those hibiscus plants from the front porch are right now! :rainfro:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.