1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Different zoning

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by Tran Nguyen, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tran Nguyen

Tran Nguyen New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    The subject property is in Zoning A, all the closed sales are in Zoning R1-8. Can I use them as comparables? I'm in N.California.
    Please help. Thank you

2. Oregon Doug

Oregon Doug Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Oregon
    Zoning designations & what mean are local (town, county..) matters - you'll need to talk to a more local appraiser that knows & understands what "A" & R1-8 mean. kinda like my asking you the difference between EFU, F2 & T1 zoning (one of my personal favorites is CR).

Oregon Doug

3. Fred

Fred Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Virgin Islands
    Are the properties improved?

4. Jerry Lieb

Jerry Lieb Junior Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Tran,

Zoning is all-important when it comes to land. Without knowing what A means, I will take a wild guess that it is probably an Agricultural zoning of some type. You need to find out for sure by going to the local governing agency and personally looking at a zoning map.

From the sound of your question, I am concerned that you do not have extensive experience appraising land. (Correct me if I'm wrong). If I am right, then you should working on this with someone from your area who has such experience. (Remember the Competency Rule.)

I am in Southern California. A lot of formerly Ag zoned land has become R-1 of various densities, as the demand for subdivisions continues and the H & B Use changes. If the situation is similar where you are, you should find out two things: 1) what was the R1-8 land zoned AT TIME OF SALE or immediately before sale, and 2) What the the general plan show for the A zoned land. If it is to become R1-8, then that might be something to consider.

There are many factors involved in appraising vacant land; zoning, present and future, availability of utilities, environmental issues, flood zone issues, etc. The list goes on and on.

5. Tran Nguyen

Tran Nguyen New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    The property is not improved. It's a 450Sq.Ft. house, and the site is about 13000Sq. Ft.
    Thank you Jerry. According to Assessor office, 98% of the value of this property is on the land. I have no experience on appraising vacant land so I sent the order to my former mentor.
    Thank you everybody.

6. Wally Jones

Wally Jones Senior Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Tran, would your former mentor let you assist him in doing the report? That would be a great learning experience.

7. hoavinh

hoavinh Sophomore Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Yes, we have a good relationship.

8. hoavinh

hoavinh Sophomore Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Professional Status: