1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Dirty Home

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by Tony Bartolini, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Bartolini

Tony Bartolini New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    I fairly new to doing FHA appraisals. I came accross a home this week that did not have any structual issues, however the interior of home was very dirty inside. Home also has a cat urine smell. As a result of the lack of upkeep the home had a small roachs crawling around and nats flying around. I can address the infestion with a cost to treat the interior of the home, but I am not sure how to address the filth. The home needs a good cleaning(espically the carpet and vinyl flooring. Do I put a cost to cure on a cleaning crew to come to the home.

2. Hamlet

Hamlet Elite Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Ohio
    In general dirt is not an issue. However, the cat urine is a health issue. I'd cost to cure for the urine smell in the carpets and floors.

3. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
  4. Riick

Riick Elite Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Delaware
    It might not be a cheap repair.
    I know of one home where they were forced to remove & replace the underlayment throughout the 1st floor to get rid of the smell.

5. Lobo Fan

Lobo Fan Elite Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Cat urine is especially a problem. I would do it subject to a professional estimate to get rid of the smell. Also, if it is messy enough you may have not been able to see well enough to assess the condition of the walls and flooring. Another note to make.

If people are not going to wash dishes for 6 months at a time, how will they treat dripping plumbing? While housekeeping by itself is not an issue, it can raise red flags. It could easily be problem enough to become ineligible for FHA.

Takes lots of pictures. take copious notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.