1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Disclaimer - Appraisal for Friend

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by maryalice, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryalice

maryalice New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    What verbage do I need to include on an appraisal report that discloses that I know the owner of a piece of property I am appraising? What should I disclose?

2. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico
    What relationship do you have with the owner and what is the purpose of the report?

3. maryalice

maryalice New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Louisiana
    It is a re-fi, the owner lives 1 house from me.

4. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois

And it is by mere coincidence that you have the assignment from "whatever" lender?

5. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    That still doesnt answer how close you are with this "owner". I dont disclose things I do for neighbors. I do appraisals in my subdivision all the time, yet I have no personal relationship wiht any that would bias my opinions as to the value of their homes.
    The question is .. .do you?

6. Bama Bayou

Bama Bayou Senior Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Alabama
    I worked in a market for about fifteen years where I was acquainted with about 1/3 of the owners whose property I appraised. It was no problem and I didn't disclose anything about the "relationship" since there was no bias on my part. If you feel you can't be unbiased (or you don't want to po your neighbor with a "low" value") just decline the assignment.

7. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    Same hre PE. Some of my neighbors have lived there longer than I have(1974), and some are fairly new to the neighborhood. I do not socialize with any of them. I know them well enough to speak to them but I work, many of the older neighbors do not. My wife and i have never been coffee clatchers so i could easily do the house9s) next door without bias.

8. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Acquaintance is not a requirement for disclosure in and of it's self. If you want to say something..."I live in the same development" or "I reside two doors down from this property" would be appropriate.

9. jtinmichigan

jtinmichigan Junior Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    I have no current or prospective interest in this property. Its in the certification. Nothing else is required.

10. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    "I have no (or disclosed) current or prospective interest in this property"- or the parties involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.