1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Distance between well and septic

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by Judy Whitehead (Florida), Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Judy Whitehead (Florida) Senior Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    OK - I can't find this anywhere. Does anyone know how far the well and septic have to be from each other for FHA? The website is so unuser unfriendly and I am having a senior moment. I'm thinking it is 100' - does anyone know for sure?

2. TC

TC Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wells will require water testing. ¨ Septic require inspection of observable evidence of system failures.
    ¨ The well and septic must be 50 feet apart. *
    ¨ Neither can be within 10 feet of the property line. *
    ¨ Cisterns are generally not acceptable (unless they are typical for the area).
    ¨ Dug wells or wells served by springs or lakes are not acceptable.
    ¨ Mechanical chlorinators are not acceptable.

*(If appraiser cannot determine distances, then the underwriter is responsible for securing this information from a qualified party.)

But I also seem to recall that the well can't be within 100 feet of the leech field.

CALLING BEN-V!!!

TC

3. Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Judy Whitehead (Florida) Senior Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Thanks! The 100' I was remembering probably did match up with the drain field. This is an older home so usually I don't worry too much about the newer installations, but the olds ones I do.

4. Lycabull

Lycabull Junior Member

May 31, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Kansas
    50, 100 & 10

TC is correct. The well must be located 50' from the septic holding tank, but 100' from the septic tanks drain fields. 10' away from any property lines. 4150.2 page 3-10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.