1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Don't know whether I should have always been doing this or not!

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Scott R Marshall, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott R Marshall

Scott R Marshall Senior Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico
    Just received a request from an AMC on an appraisal I just completed to include the state in which each of the comparables are located. Now on the sales comparison grid for each comparable I always put the city but have never thought of putting in the state as well as this seemed to be a "no-brainer" that it was located within the same state. I can just see my addendum if that wasn't the case:

"The appraiser has opted to select only comparables with the same city name as that of the subject as it is the appraiser's opinion that the current market reaction to cities of the same name are more reflective of current market conditions as opposed to proximity to the actual location of the subject. In cases where the comparables were located in different states than where the subject is located, MLS photos were utilized as attempting to visually inspect and photograph these comparables from the street was not practical during the normal course of business."

I'm just wondering if as a normal course of business you include the state the comparables are located in?

2. OminousRun

OminousRun Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    While I'm not familiar with your state (New Mexico), I did look on mapquest and noticed that in the NW corner of the state, there is a "4 corners" with Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico........Although it looked like a remote location in the middle of the desert and mountains......I "could"....."could".....almost rationalize going to different states.

I'm guessing this wasn't the case though.

Hey, be thankful - at least he didn't go into Mexico to find comps!!!!!

3. Jay Emmar

Jay Emmar Junior Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    Exclusion of the state abbreviation in the comparable grid probably makes it harder for the AMC's data mining / report stripping software to function properly, I am guessing. Never have included it personally nor have I ever been stipped for it...but I don't do AMC work fortunately.

4. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    If you used comps from more than 1 state its a no brainer to include the state as well as the city. If all in the same state, also a no brainer.

How hard is it to include a comma and 2 more letters in either case? If that's all you have to beitch about and all the UW can find, Merry Christmas.:)

5. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    It is more difficult to data mine your report when you don't give them the state and zip code...roll over, play dead, fetch, that's a good boy.

6. Diane Lagrou

Diane Lagrou Junior Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Ohio
    I have always included the state code and zip code for the comparables. Rural property comparables are often located in different towns with different zip codes....makes it easier for the mapping software to place them in the report. Never tried it without a state or zip....It was how I was taught and have always done it that way.
    If you don't place a state code...as I could see it as a no brainer for the most part, do you put in the zip code? A property on Main Street could show up in many different areas/zip codes.

7. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    This is the supidest thing I've heard of yet. One more thing to waste an appraisers time on top of the growing list of nonsense time wasters.

Tell the to freaking remove their newpaper hats and get a life outside the cubicle.

8. John Hassler

John Hassler Senior Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Best add "USA" too and head off next week's request from this AMC.

9. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    He is in New Mexico. Might be why they want the state name. If its in Chihuahua or Sonora state, they might alter the loan package.:rof:

10. Aprazr

Aprazr Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    I always include the State but that is the way I was taught. There ARE same city names in other states, however, these stips are ridiculous. Have them look at your location map to discern any questions of the State it is in (ha)

They simply are looking for something to stip.....it is their job to do so and I HIGHLY dis-agree with it. I have spent almost 4 hours today changing STUPID items like zip codes. The order states xxxx city and it is truly located in the un-incorporated area of xxxx city is why the zip code does not match, you dink!

Look at the map in my appraisal. They are all within .5 miles or less. What idiots.

I, for one, am going to start charging for my time for this kind of actions. And don't forget, Planet Earth (ha)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.