Drainage, Gutters & Downspouts

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Dee Ann Casey, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Ann Casey

Dee Ann Casey Sophomore Member

May 29, 2002
    I have come across many homes with damp basements and they all seem to have detached downspouts where the water drains close to the home. How have you handled wording these situations in your reports? Please share your views.

Dee Ann

2. Roger R. Patzold

Roger R. Patzold Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    I think the answer to your question is in your question.

If you are seeing a high number of Homes with basement water problems and downspouts near the wet spots, so note in the report. Disclose you are not an expert, unless you are.

Then move on.

A good architect will design a house without any need for gutters and downspouts.

The older homes usually had doors under a gable. No need for gutters.

Additionally, gutters concentrate water from the roof. Then you have to deal with inconsistent soil moisture around the perimeter of the dwelling.

A roof with proper overhang and proper vegetation under the drip edge to catch and break the splash of the water coming off the roof will not need gutters.

Gutters that can catch leaves is an architectural direction for the wood rot that happens behind the gutter.

Please join me in a prayer for all those who have gone in harm's way for our freedoms. From Valley Forge to Baghdad, from Iwo Jima to Normandy.

Roger R. Patzold <><
    rpatzold@aol.com

3. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Dee Ann - I know you're from Venus and Bobby Bucks is from Mars. It would be more helpful to you if you at least posted your state.

Good response Roger. However, some areas, unknown which one this is, might actually require gutters and downspouts. Not all areas have architects that are qualified enough to figure out how to direct the water away. And you are definitely right, not all areas have basements.

Dee Ann - report what you see, saw and observed. That's all. Nothing more. If you have a concern, then make it subject to an inspection by someone qualified and licensed in the field of basement water damage - do like everyone else - pass the buck or get ready for someone to sue you.

4. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Alabama
    Otis summed it up. Your an appraiser not a home inspector. State what you saw, what you KNOW and don't speculate on anything else.

BTW I am a home inspector and thats all I do. I would probably recommend repairing gutters but nothing more.

5. Richard Carlsen

Richard Carlsen Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    Most of our homes here in the north do not have gutters and downspouts as the snow and ice rip them off. We also have an abundance of sandy soil so drainage is typically not a problem.

However, you should note on the URAR that under "site" there is a place for "drainage". When I have run into problems with wet basements due to poor drainage or high water table, this is where I note it. I simply state that the site appears to drain toward the improvements (house) which may explain the wet basement or that there is no adverse drainage problem so the wet basement may be caused by a high water table as evidenced by the swampland nearby.

I'm not an expert in water migration so I note the problem with a little comment and let the lender worry about it. Besides, coming up with solutions to a wet basement is beyond the scope of the appraisal.

6. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    While gutters and downspouts are not a requirement...proper drainage away from the structure is.

If there is a problem with positive drainage then condition the appraisal on curing the problem.

7. Dee Ann Casey

Dee Ann Casey Sophomore Member

May 29, 2002
    Thanks for all your input guys!

8. Thomas Fiehler

Thomas Fiehler Senior Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Dee Ann-I have heard that up to 75% of water problems in crawl spaces or basements is due to poor lot grading or gutter/downspout problems.

9. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Drainage is a serious issue and can cost thousands of dollars to cure and thus affect marketabilty and value. That is why it is such a prominent requirement that it be addressed in FHA reports and the query is also a box to be checked on the URAR.

If you see a problem, you must condition it to be repaired and/or corrected. Otherwise, your final value could be faulty and you could be liable.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.