1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Drug Test

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by LI-Appr, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LI-Appr

LI-Appr Senior Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    THE JOB - URINE TEST
    (Whoever wrote this one deserves a HUGE pat on the back!)
    Like most folks in this country, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to get that paycheck in my case, I am required to pass a random urine test (with which I have no problem). What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test.
    So, here is my Question: Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?
    Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their ass - doing drugs, while I work. . . . Can you imagine how much money each state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?
    I guess we could title that program, 'Urine or You're Out'.
    Pass this along if you agree or simply delete if you don't. Hope you all will pass it along, though. Some thing has to change in this country -- and soon!!!!!!!

2. staceyuw

staceyuw Sophomore Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Banking/Mortgage Industry
    State:
    Tennessee
    :new_multi:I AGREE!!!

3. RitaB

RitaB Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    California
    Maybe it would help with the so-called "war on drugs" too. I'll bet at least half the drug users would quit if not quiting meant giving up their welfare check. (I realize there is such a thing as addiction, no lecture please).

4. Cicada

Cicada Sophomore Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Nevada
    Great idea but most politicians don't want the war on drugs to end. It gives them something to stand against.

5. Lee in L.A.

Lee in L.A. Elite Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Homer will just have to ask Bart for clean urine. Stat! :leeann:

6. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds like a good idea. Maybe after passing 3 or 4 tests successfully, they can be excused from taking further tests. No sense in wasting the money.

7. JT1974

JT1974 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm all for it.

I had to take a drug test to be a bank teller when I was in college. The testing center was located in Milwaukee's inner-city and I'm sure I was the only one in the room that wasn't a convicted felon.

8. DTB

DTB Elite Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    If the wars on poverty and drugs were ever won, it would be the end of our economy.

We have no idea how many businesses profit from these situations. The business of the poor and drug infested is HUGE.

9. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Senior Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Of course they should.

I really find it amazing that people can look around them, see this kind of dysfunction, see problems with the DMV, post office, SSI, medicare, $100,000 toilet seats from the DOD, and on and on, and then come to the conclusion that we should ever do anything but reduce and limit the role of government in every way possible.

The FF's outlined it pretty nicely...."establish justice, ensure domestic tranqulity, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare." That's it!. And if you'll notice three of those are mandates.... "establish", "ensure", "provide", and one is a squishy word "promote" an only in a "general" sense. They didnt say to "provide specific welfare".

10. DTB

DTB Elite Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    How much tranquility do you think we would have if not for the hush money (welfare)? :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.