1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Dumber than the average bear?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Smokey Bear, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
  2. Joyce Potts

Joyce Potts Elite Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Wow--that's amazing. I still can't quite believe he jumped over and got stuck. But a great ending.

3. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    You bears gotta be more careful when crossing streams.

4. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Actually, the bear was crossing the bridge, got scared and jumped over the side, saw how far it was to the bottom, and grabbed on. He was hanging by his claws for quite a while, and finally got himself up on a ledge where he stayed for a few days until he was rescued.

5. Vegan702

Vegan702 Senior Member

Feb 24, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Nevada
    These bears are pretty amazing animals. Since moving to Lake Tahoe a few months ago I have been reading up on them. We have had our bear "Charlie" come around about 10 times now over the last month or so trying to get food from the trash. We used to put the trash out at night, that lasted about 2 times after getting woken up by the bear knocking the cans over and making a mess. So 2 weeks ago I had my son start getting up at 5:45am as the trash guy comes at 6am and taking the cans out. The first time he takes them out and about 10 minutes later I hear something outside and Charlie was out there in the trash cans. I chalked it up to coincidence. Well this last Tuesday morning my son takes the cans out at 5:45am and about 10 minutes later Charlie is back out in the cans again. So he has adapted to when we take our trash out and waits. Pretty amazing animals. Hopefully he doesn't break into someones house as if he does he gets put down on the CA side of Tahoe where I live, on the NV side as long as he doesn't hurt anyone they will relocate them.

If you get a chance to search the internet, there are a couple videos 1 is of 2 cubs trying to get into a hammock that is hilarious. After about 15 minutes 1 of them finally figures it out. Then there is another of a family that goes on vacation and comes back to their house being taken over by a family of bears. They walk in the door and one of them is sleeping on the couch all spread out. A real life Goldilocks situation.

It's a shame with the drought and the fire here in Tahoe what these bears are having to go through just to find a little bit of food.

6. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Vegan - this guy was up in your neck of the woods. Your Charlie probably has the trash route mapped out and hits the route 10 minutes before the garbage trucks. He could get a pretty good meal doing the whole route. They sure are smart. :rof: :rof:

7. MARK JOLLIFF

MARK JOLLIFF Member

Oct 23, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I hate it when my work gets stolen.

8. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    :rof: :rof: :rof: Especially when they leave it strewn all over the yard and street? :rof:

9. Martyn Holgate

Martyn Holgate New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I was just there this weekend hiking on Donner Ski Ranch above the Hwy 40 (hang on bear) bridge looking back down onto Donner Lake. I am glad they relocated the bear although I saw some very 'large' dog like prints in the soft dirt? My wife commented "I don't care about bears or mountain lions because I can run faster than you!" Non the less it was a great trip with an early six inches of snow on the summit at 6000 ft.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  10. Wendy

Wendy Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    :rof: :rof:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.