1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Eight cities over 100,000 population

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by USPAP Compliant, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USPAP Compliant

USPAP Compliant Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
    Fewer large cites means less appraisal work of all kinds.....especially commercial.

My city has zero buildings over 8 stories.

1. Charlotte - 687,650
    2. Raleigh - 368,944
    3. Greensboro - 243,012
    4. Durham - 218,994
    5. Winston Salem - 204,074
    6. Fayetteville - 134,827
    7. Cary - 126,497
    8. Wilmington - 108,053
    9. High Point - 95,340
    10. Jacksonville - 75,929
    11. Asheville - 75,004
    12. Greenville - 72,295
    13. Gastonia - 71,901
    14. Concord - 66,803
    15. Rocky Mount - 56,426
    16. Chapel Hill - 55,310
    17. Wilson - 49,288
    18. Burlington - 48,298
    19. Kannapolis - 41,536
    20. Hickory - 39,767
    21. Goldsboro - 37,853
    22. Monroe - 35,531
    23. Huntersville - 35,038
    24. Apex - 30,968
    25. Salisbury - 30,197

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/nort...t-cities-charlotte-raleigh.html#ixzz1qAIY7lPi

2. HF Mudd

HF Mudd Senior Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
  3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    The count is nine when more recent numbers are used.

1 Charlotte. 731,424
    2 Raleigh. 403,892
    3 Greensboro. 269,666
    4 Winston-Salem. 229,617
    5 Durham. 228,330
    6 Fayetteville. 200,564
    7 Cary. 135,234
    8 Wilmington. 106,476
    9 High Point. 104,371

4. USPAP Compliant

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Wow....I did not realize we were going to get so technical. Give me a break boys.

By the way, the BIGGEST reason cities growing in population here is.....anexation. When you take in more unincorporated areas of the county.......it translates as "population growth" for the city when it is only transferring numbers.

The point is...there are no large cities (Gastonia and Asheville being the largest) WEST of Charlotte. It would a rare thing for a client to need to head West of the Meclenburg County line to find an appraiser.

CSA does not mean much to anyone other than government when they are trying to bamboozle the taxpayers. The CSA around Charlotte was going to GUARANTEE the success of the Charlotte Bobcats and the arena built and paid for by the taxpayers.

Same for the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Ditto for the Whitewater Rafting Center. All financial failures.......with the taxpayer bearing the damage for these CSA population, income, and other demographic mumbo-jumbo that can be tweaked to say anything.

I am sure the CSA will also be used to push for the proposed taxpayer funded MINOR (as in not MAJOR) league baseball stadium.

I find it difficult to believe that the CSA is used to select an appraiser for too many appraisal assignments. I don't believe the ASC, the AI (or others) offer searches based on city, county, state or zip code.

While the CSA may not mean much for appraiser selection....the county lines surrounding Mecklenburg County are more like the Berlin Wall. Gaston, Lincoln, Union, Cabarrus, Iredell, York and Lancaster counties each share a line with Mecklenburg County. Residents of "those" counties and appraisers from "those" counties are not going to as much in Mecklenburg County anymore.

There are some lenders and other clients looking pretty closely at distance from appraiser to subject.

EVERY single day on this forum someone opines that if an "out of the area appraiser" is used then the appraisal has to be crap and the appraiser is a skippy loser from the pit of hell.

It seems to me that the "closer is better" mindset is getting more predominate. I was told bay a LSI staffer that (here in NC) they are only allowed to go 30 minutes away from their office for appraisals.....the rest are farmed out.

The folks that get $100.00 bucks per hour for travel time must be really special. When we pass over closer com parables and go further to get others....a red flag goes up and questions are asked. The same is true for not choosing a local appraiser. There may be good reasons in both cases.......maybe not and most often not.

Spudman....I would think you might agree that few clients in Charlotte are calling in appraisers from the smaller surrounds towns and counties. If they are.....whay would they need to do so except in some exceptional case?

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Didn't mean to be picky, but the data in your link was labeled 2007 and we just had a census in 2010. As for the source of the growth, the state went from 8 million in 2000 to 9.5 million in 2010. I bet quite a few of those 1.5 million moved into existing cities or next to cities where they where then annexed. It is NOT just a case of shifting numbers.

The only reason to go "west of Charlotte" is to go on vacation. :new_smile-l:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. USPAP Compliant

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina

By the way, the BIGGEST reason cities growing in population here is.....anexation.

Gastonia, Belmont, Stanley and a couple other cities HERE love to annex.

Remember...you live in the land of fruits, nuts and academics........things ain't quite the same on this side of the state. Don't come through here with your fancy ways and painted up women.......you ain't welcome.

Less than 9% population growth in 10 years.

Gaston County Population, 2000 190,365

Gaston County Population, 2010 206,086

7. USPAP Compliant

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.