1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Exiting the Office

Discussion in 'Running an Appraisal Business' started by bbr711, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pittsburgh Pete

Pittsburgh Pete Elite Member

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    If you are already certified, why might you want access to your workfiles?

2. ctapraser

ctapraser Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Connecticut
    If you do not take them with you, they are theirs after all, they are required to give you access to any appraisals (and the work file) you signed.

3. William K

William K Senior Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    The fact you are asking this question, on this forum, leads me to believe you might not yet be ready ( competent) to go out on your own.

I equate this to an appraiser stating they have 10 years of experience and are going out on their own but needs to know " Where do I get a copy of USPAP?"

:shrug:

4. Salty

Salty Sophomore Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Our software made pdf's of all our reports. Before I left my shop I made sure I had the copies of the pdf's on my hard drive. I also took the files of my reports for the last 3 months with me. I was not concerned with my years of files. If I need one of my older my former shop owner must provide me access to the files.

5. bbr711

bbr711 Sophomore Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Pete -

Record Keeping Rule first and foremost. For more recent files, underwriter/lender conditions that may need to be addressed.

Really, I wouldn't mind if I had no reason to visit the files again - that might correlate to "no worries". Regardless, I need to know that my files for the past 5 years are accessible to me.

6. bbr711

bbr711 Sophomore Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Not that I equate your response to an individual who compensates for his lack of acumen with senseless diatribe. But, some might.

7. Pat Butler

Pat Butler Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    Why wouldn't you have already been creating copies of your workfiles even while you were employed there? You are an individual as far as licensing is concerned and should have had your own copies a long time ago.

8. LarryJewell

LarryJewell Sophomore Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    What happened several years ago :shrug:

9. Delta85

Delta85 Elite Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Connecticut
    I'm not sure making copies of your own work files equals theft as another poster indicated. However, it need not come to that. Inform them you are leaving and ask for copies of the files. If they refuse, you can make a stink about it to the state for starters if you want , but certainly have them put in writing that they will keep/save all files and will be responsible for them and will grant you access if/when you need them.

10. Craig in Oregon

Craig in Oregon Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    FWIW. Had a problem once and only once in 2008.
    Report date was 1990 and in 1992 I opened own shop. Amicable departure.
    However, the report became part of evidence in a trial in 2008 and in the meantime the
    former office had shredded the 1995 and earlier files in 2005. Testimony was hedged as a result since there was only a partial copy existant in possession of the buyer of that parcel.
    There is also possibility of loss by casualty, fire, water, etc. in storage.

BBR, what is present office policy on file retention? They should want to retain their files as well as yours as long as practical since if there is a trial or expert testimony required, their name is on the file too.

99% of time you will never see it again of course but then. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.