1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Experienced Lo's Are Stupid Also

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Otis Key, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico
    Have a long term client I've been dealing with for years. COD and all pdf of reports - mortgage broker and reports seldom get questions from the UW. So the LO's tend to rotate in and out the doors but there are few there that have hung in for some time.

Got an order, completed and emailed it. Just fine. No sweat. Actually came in slightly above the standard "Owner Estimate of Value" number shown - didn't look till after the report was done.

Got a call from LO.

LO: Thanks for the report!
    Me: You're welcome.
    LO: Do you have the survey?
    Me: No - I'm not a surveyor.
    LO: Well, you gave a lot size. Did you measure accurately?
    Me: I'm not a surveyor. The report clearly indicates that the legal gives a lot size.
    LO: Hell - that's going to mess up my month.
    Me: Sorry - call the title company and they can get the survey ordered and they're pretty fast on those.
    LO: Oh - can you fax over the survey.
    Me: I don't have a survey.
    LO: Borrower said he gave it to you.
    Me: No! Again, he gave me an old report. If there had been a survey I would have scanned it and included it in the report.
    LO: Oh - So you don't have the survey??????
    Me: NO! Like I said.
    LO: What am I going to do?
    Me: Call the title company!

Click!

Do they take STUPID pills early in the morning to be able to not listen to what is being said - clearly and concisely?! :shrug: :shrug:

2. Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Pamela Crowley (Florida) Elite Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

3. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    My corporation name is Shields Valuation Surveys, Inc. You can imagine the phone calls.

4. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Too funny Terrel

My company name is KEY & KEY - would like to guess how many times a week I get called to break into a house? :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Or make a key for a 57 Chevy? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    My husband's business and my business have the same phone number and fax number. So when I answer the phone I am answering for both companies. I answer the phone in the following manner: Stratton and Associates and the Appraisal Department, Jo Ann Stratton speaking. So then people get all confused and starting talking about a survey, so I give the phone to my husband. After a long conversation with him, they decided what they really wanted to order was an appraisal. Sometimes the conversation goes the other way, I get an very lengthly explanation about the neighbors building on their land, all the details of every survey they have ever had contact with, etc, etc, etc. Finally after they stop to take a breath I can tell them if they need a survey completed they need to talk to my husband. When I get faxes and checks from lenders for appraisals, they order an appraisal from Stratton and Associates and then write the check out the same way. We use the same checking account for both businesses, so I just deposit the check and credit that company with having paid their appraisal fee. MLS had my account listed under Stratton Appraisals for years, each year when I renewed I told them the correct company name so now after seven years it is finally correct. Some times we are working on the same sale, so I hear about all the survey problems as I am doing the appraisal and he hears about all the appraisal problems as he is working on the survey. Oh well, had similar confusion when I lived in Hobbs, NM--kept getting called Mrs. Safford from Stratton, AZ.

6. Lee in L.A.

Lee in L.A. Elite Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    We have a huge crate of antique condoms, need to know what they're worth. :lol:

7. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I get a couple of calls a week asking if I can appraise some jewelry.

8. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    :rofl: :rainfro: :rofl: :rainfro: :rofl: :rainfro: :rofl: :rainfro: :clapping: :clapping:

9. Bobby Bucks

Bobby Bucks Elite Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Real Estate Agent or Broker
    State:
    North Dakota
    If they're marked "size small" Otis can probably give you
    a price range. :lol:

10. Joker

Joker Elite Member

May 28, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    You need to read the serial number to authenticate the value.
    You have seen the serial numbers, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.