1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Appraisal Vs. Conventional Appraisal?

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by JoeB, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeB

JoeB Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    At this point, what is the difference between a standard conventional appraisal and a FHA appraisal?
    The only difference i can see is a case number and the inspection itself.
    I had a lender ask for two samples of both?

Thanks all!

2. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    There are some specific guidelines for filling out the 1004 for FHA. Requirement for remaining economic life versus no requirement for site value and other minor differences; however, it is possible to make your appraisals fit both FHA and fannie/freddie guidelines as a regular procedure without too much trouble. Then, the case number, inspection and specific requirements for handling repair issues are the only basic differences. My additional fee for FHA is less than 20% extra.

3. Greg Bell

Greg Bell Senior Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    Louisiana
    You need an environmental compliance addendum.Repair issues would be MPR items.

4. xmrdfghap

xmrdfghap Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    Minimal diferences any more. Read the handbook 4150.2 for specifics.

5. George W Dodd

George W Dodd Senior Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia

Greg,

The appraiser no longer requires repairs on FHA appraisals; the appraiser lists all noted items and then it is up to the DU UW to require repairs.

6. Brad Pack

Brad Pack Junior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    California
    WRONG!!!!!

7. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Brad, I was about to post the same thing, also GP's advice is a few years behind. Given the fact that FHA is likely to see an unprecedented demand given the current issues in the sub prime market etc, any chance that FHA/HUD, is going to update/consolidate ALL of the requirements? There are conflicts in interpretations between 4150.2 and the more recent Mortgagee letters 2005-34 and 48. All of us on the front lines would really appreciate one stop shopping. The HOCs are even unsure of how some of the stuff meshes. Any help on the horizon? And please no more band-aid letters, can we expect a replacement/consolidation for 4150.2 and the Mortgagee letters?

8. Greg Bell

Greg Bell Senior Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    Louisiana
    MPR Items are still required.Any unsafe items noted at the time of inspection.

9. Jack D. Pratt

Jack D. Pratt Sophomore Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    This is a good forum for me to read right now. I hope more elaborate! I am not approved FHA yet, but think I will be soon (as many have the opportunity to be right now). I've been doing a lot of reading and I am really confused as to what the difference is. I lost my mentor to cancer and I've been checking his reports...I really don't see much difference here. I ask myself....Is this just another standard appraisal OR, was I trained to make the 2 forms be as 1? I am learning a lot about rules and regulations and I am here to tell you....this stuff can get a bit overwhelming. I want to be "by the book" so therefore I could use suggestions as to the differences between the two. Any links (of course other than FHA ) or suggestions would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks.

10. JoeB

JoeB Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    by the looks of things, i am not the only one who has questions about the FHA appraisals, responsibilities and procedures! But wait..FEDERAL housing Administration.. Government Agency..need i say more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.