1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Guidelines-Gas Stub in middle of Patio

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by ninerk, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninerk

ninerk New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Greetings,
    I am appraising a newer home in Stockton, CA. Two things I am pointing out for FHA "repair":

Unsecured 220V line; the main line is not secure and the wires are exposed with the twist caps.

Then there is a gas line stub in the middle of the patio. It has the shut off valve and endcap, but can easily be turned on.

These are for what appears to be an unfinished outdoor kitchen; I should definitely call out the gas line stub right?

It only has a rubber cap on it right now; short of removing the entire gas line and tearing up the nice new patio, what repair should I recommend?

Remove shutoff valve and install hard cap? Stub would still be sticking out, would you recommend placing a wooden structure over it?

Shut off gas, then cut line at concrete and cap/fill?

Getting my feet wet here with FHA, sorry for the :new_newbie: FHA question.

Thank you.

2. Abester

Abester Senior Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Why are appraisers responsible for this? Maybe the owner will want to finish the outdoor kitchen? It has a shut off, so I don't understand why anything else is required? How about a lock on the shutoff it's that dangerous.

3. ninerk

ninerk New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    The classes I took strongly advised that FHA is concerned with anything that is a safety or structure issue.

The gas line as is right now could easily be turned on with the valve by a child.

Same thing with the 220V line, all it would take would be a curious kid to take the twist caps off and get electrocuted.

This is a purchase and an AS IS appraisal. Right now, AS IS is HAZARDOUS.

4. Abester

Abester Senior Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    A kid can make anything dangerous. It has a shut off valve. The easiest fix, if it's the appraiser's business, is to require a lockable shut-off.

5. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
    You need to report what you see. I would be careful with suggestions on the required repair, particularly when you start talking about taring up the patio etc. Are you sure that there is not another valve installed before the line goes under the patio?

6. cjski

cjski Junior Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I wouldn't condition for removal. I would condition for it to be capped off though. That way, whether the valve is turned on or not, no gas can escape.

7. hglenbetts

hglenbetts Senior Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    Ditto on a "Hard" cap on the end. BTW, are we talking black pipe or flex? If flex, then there is an issue about it being properly secured.

OP, I too would condition the 220 line. Recently had a very similar situation.

8. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Make them tear the house down so there isn't any hazards!

Seriously, Note it, take a picture of it, and let the underwriter decide what needs to be done.

Repeat after me...."I am an appraiser, I am not a home inspector, I am not the permit police, and I am not a code enforcement officer".

9. ninerk

ninerk New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Thanks for all the responses. I did not mean to sound like I was going to tell them to tear up the patio.

As recommended, I just report what is there and discuss possible solutions to current conditions that do not meet the FHA guidelines. That way the UW has an idea of what the repairs would cost.

The gas line is a hard line with a valve, a simple cap will solve the problem of any unwanted leaks/EXPLOSIONS.

10. NORTON

NORTON Senior Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    is it a trip hazard?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.