1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA/HUD paint repairs

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by Kathleen V, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathleen V

Kathleen V New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Scenario: There is peeling/chipping paint on house exterior window and doors frames. Because of winter temperatures, paint would not be feasible at present time. Is scraping to remove the peeling/chipping paint an adequate solution without a new coat of paint? :shrug:

2. Carl Pylant

Carl Pylant Junior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Alabama
    Peeling paint

I think then you have exposed wood that could rot and threaten it's integrity. Being from the south, we tend to be able to paint 365 days a year. You have a good question. Perhaps your HOC could answer it.

3. edward sekerak

edward sekerak Sophomore Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    No. The required repair is "scraping and painting of any area where chipped or peeling paint is present....." The weather does not matter. They can escrow for the repair to be completed at a later date.

4. Jason Barber

Jason Barber Junior Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    What year was the home built? If it was pre-1978 then chipping and peeling paint would qualify as a defective paint surface and FHA will require automatic repair. Read 2005-ML-48 for a detailed answer.

As far as painting in adverse weather, funds may be escrowed and FHA will accept a HUD-92300 from the lender. The work must then be completed within 6 months after the loan closes. Make sure to provide the lender with a cost-to-cure for the paint repair.

5. redfish

redfish Senior Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    I may be wrong but isn't the DE underwriter's job to determine what is and what isn't repaired. I report what I see based on HUD/FHA min prop requirements and then complete a CIR detailing the repairs that have been made based on the request from the underwriter in the CIR assignment. Stop doing the underwriters jobs. Report what you see and move on.

6. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Redfish nailed it. FHA appraisers should stop thinking in terms of requiring repairs because that is not part of the job in an FHA assignment. We report MPR/MPS deficiencies so that the client can determine what is to be done.

State that you observed defective paint surfaces, provide an estimated cost to cure, and condition your appraisal on correction/inspection.

This is why FHA appraising is so easy.

"Another fine reason to do FHA" to paraphrase the really old guy.

7. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    FWIW, there are many paint products available that can be used with temperatures above 35. So the painters don't have as many excuses any more.:)

8. Crippled Chef

Crippled Chef Sophomore Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    FHA paint issues

:peace: Here in upstate NY peeling paint is a fact of life...I always take a photo of every incidence of peeling/flaking paint, inside and out, sheds, barns, fences etc, put in a cost-to-cure and let the U/W decide what to do...we are the reporting eyes of what is there, not the decision makers of what has to be done. This is just my 2 cents worth.

9. Crippled Chef

Crippled Chef Sophomore Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    My profile.

:peace: How can I change my profile to "certified" from "licensed" appraiser?

10. RSW

RSW Elite Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Redfish and Gred Boyd both nailed it right on the head. We appraisers don't require repairs: We report MPR deficiencies. Stop trying to do the DE UW's job. Let the DE UW make that call. Report what is there and move onto the next assignment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.