1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA requirement - Termite Inspection

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by Sbrainard, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sbrainard

Sbrainard New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    Until Mortgagee letter 2005-34, I had always, I felt, been required to state that the property was subject to, at the very least, unless it was new construction, a termite inspection report. The letter 2005-34 is not very definitive on the subject, but I have a hard time believing that FHA is leaving it up to the appraiser to find evidence of termites before requiring for a report. The UW is telling me that a termite inspection report is no longer required. What is typical among appraisers to do post 2005-34?

2. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
  3. Michael Tipton

Michael Tipton Senior Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    This subject was covered during a recent HUD CE course. Refer to Mortgagee Letter 2005-ML-48.

Inspection Requirements

FHA no longer mandates automatic inspections for the following items and/or
    conditions in existing properties:

* Wood Destroying Insects/Organisms: inspection required only if evidence of
    active infestation, mandated by the state or local jurisdiction, if customary to
    area, or at lender's discretion

http://www.hudclips.org/sub_nonhud/html/nph-brs.cgi?d=MLET&s1=05-$[no]&op1=AND&SECT1=TXTHLB&SECT5=MLET&u=../html/shortcut.htm&p=1&r=3&f=G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.