1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fire-rated drywall for garage ceiling?

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by Lloyd Bonafide, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lloyd Bonafide

Lloyd Bonafide Senior Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    (FHA report) When a garage is built under the house, isn't fire-rated drywall required for the garage ceiling? How about if the house is 80 years old - is it still required no matter what the building code was when the house was originally built?

And how about in an unfinished, walk-out/daylight basement - I assume that the ceiling drywall is not required for this unfinished area? I only see about one or two basements per year here.

Thanks -

2. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    The garage in my house in San Francisco (built in 1939) had no drywall anywhere in the garage, or in the unfinished, wak-out basement area. Unless the law has changed, it is not required.

3. Vermonter

Vermonter Senior Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Vermont
    Called my HOC about this a few years back and they said they "require a wall between a garage and living space, but no specifics about drywall fire rating".

Local code calls for 5/8" firerock on the ceiling and 1/2" on the walls to basement.

4. Riick

Riick Elite Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Delaware
    5/8" "fire rock" is equal to 2 layers of 1/2" standard Sheetrock - gives you 2 hours until burn-through ...IIRC.

Rule of thumb most everywhere is that unless there's been a major renovation, no need for older home to comply with most recent standards.

Good thing too, as much as I'd like my house to be better insulated,
    can't afford to have someone come in and tell me I have to tear off siding,
    build out framing by 2" so can re-insulate using 6" deep insulation, & then wrap house with Tyvek.
    Now, put new "green" siding on house, and BTW, don't forget to re-roof using solar panels to generate my own electricity.
    .................. $90,000 later

/

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    It would not be such a bad thing as long as you remember to get your contractor's license. You could likely do quite well without even leaving your neighborhood.:rof:

6. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Pssst...repeat after me. "I am an appraiser, not a home inspector!".

7. incognito

incognito Senior Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Pssssst: Read with me:

Believe it or not, if your read the FHA Reference guide Chapter 1, ML 05-48, and 4150-D, you will pretty much learn everything you need to know about what IS and IS NOT required! I have each as an icon on my desktop, and rarely find issues that are not addressed directly!

Pssssst: Also, read Mike Garretts post before this one, again!

8. Lloyd Bonafide

Lloyd Bonafide Senior Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Does anyone think that fire-rated drywall should be required for the garage ceiling as a HUD safety consideration?

As per an appraiser at the Santa Ana HOC: although you would not find this specific situation in the handbook, he thinks it should be required.

???

9. Scott Jones

Scott Jones New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Maine
    I just ran into this in Maine and the State USDA reviewer says FHA requires 5/8 type X fire rated sheetrock on walls and ceilings of a built in garage. The borrower decided to remove garage doors and turn into a storage area in my case. It probally wouldn't hurt to call for a CO2 detector as well. At least in Maine people like to start their car on cold mornings to warm up first which may not be to bright with a built in garage.

10. incognito

incognito Senior Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Please show me these things in writing. You cant, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT FHA REQUIREMENTS!!!!!!

You know, it is not out of the realm of possibility that an appraiser could be sued for imposing his/her personal opinions/beliefs or own personal standard of safety, security and soundness. If you kill a deal or make a deal more expensive, you surely could be culpable. I know for damn sure that if some appraiser required me to install smoke detectors in a house I was selling to meet MPR and MPS guidelines, and the deal would not close without doing so, I would sue the pants off of that appraiser for being ignorant, AND I would turn him into the state board for lack of competency.

If you want to become a home inspector, put on a different hat and have at it. But if you want to be an FHA appraiser, I think the FHA manuals and guidelines should be followed... Silly idea, huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.