For Trainees

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by jmarch305, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmarch305

jmarch305 Sophomore Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    Just some hindsight 20/20 for you all. When looking for a mentor try to find someone who is very diversified, ie. attorney work, litigation, review and less than 50% mortgage related. You will find you will probably learn more not being restricted by fannie, freddie and FHA guidelines. If they are linked with any professional organizations would be good as well, you will by proxy get to know the whose who of appraisers in your area. Also look for someone who is adept at marketing and does not depend solely on word of mouth. I trained with a very good mentor, however, all their business came from word of mouth, which WAS very good. Nowadays word of mouth doesn't really get you anywhere. Hopefully, someday soon (although I doubt soon) word of mouth will pay off for ethical and competent appraisers. GOOD LUCK, its rough out there.

2. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    Although your subject topic is about trainees, the purpose of this section is for new people and trainees to ask questions. This is a "moderated" thread which means EVERY post has to be approved. I don't think this subject requires every post to be approved. I have moved it to the appropriate forum.

3. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Senior Member
    Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    While I cannot fault anything you've said "in theory", in practice, in this market, you're dam lucky if you can find someone to train you that actually trains you, and goes on the inspections like they say that they do.

4. jmarch305

jmarch305 Sophomore Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Sorry Tim, Thought they would likely see it there first. Meta is correct. Trainees for gods sake don't work with someone who is not going with you to inspections, you will not learn anything.

5. Ccpars

Ccpars New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    Kentucky
    Trainee looking for Supervisor

I'm an associate appraiser in the Louisville, Ky. market looking for a Supervisor to train me. I'm very hungry and have a great work ethic. I currently work for an Appraisal service under a Supervisor that's looking to leave the industry and am in need of work so I can continue to log hours towards my license.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.