1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Gold Prospecting

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Patti Jury, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patti Jury

Patti Jury Senior Member

Mar 23, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    Just curious...

Anyone ever attempted to Prospect for gold as a hobby..or know of anyone?

Just recently came upon some family history...and have become slightly interested.

Thoughts?

2. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico
    Might be a little bit cold out there in those mountain streams to be panning right now. And it's only going to get colder before it gets warmer. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Never done it but heard of a few lucky So & So's who found some big nuggets.

3. Bobby Bucks

Bobby Bucks Elite Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Real Estate Agent or Broker
    State:
    North Dakota
    I've panned several times and it turns into very hard work after a couple of hours.....and very cold work if there is wind or a chill in the air. Never got any nuggets to speak of....just flakes which I kept in a jar.

4. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of the Month

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    Sure, used to have a whole assay kit and a copper goldmining pan. Copper would let gold amalgam with mercury. Due to its toxic nature, I decided against using Mercury. They still do it in S. America in "outlaw" mines and separate the gold and mercury in cooking utensils, which accumulates in family members. So the whole family is "madder than a hatter" [from the older hatmakers use of mercury making them crazy]

Got any crazies in that family tree???
    PS-I might be a geologist but am a darn poor prospector

5. Patti Jury

Patti Jury Senior Member

Mar 23, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    What family tree doesn't have crazies... :rainfro:

I just have access to a great river...major gold past history..confluence...

and can choose to either fly fish, metal detect or pan...all within close proximity to a cooler! :beer: :rainfro:

Just curious...I need to research it more...Does it matter if you don't find much...?

I'm outside..on a mountain stream..with one eye looking out for that cinnamon bear that inhabits the area....Too Cool!

6. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
  7. Ross (CO)

Ross (CO) Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Patti, ..... I have an advert-flyer which is also an application for membership to the Gold Prospectors of Colorado / P.O. Box 1593 / Colo. Spgs. 80901. Picked it up at the gem and mineral show in town last June (every June). Says this group has been active since 1974, and incorporated in the state of CO. They have 6 claims in state, and coordinate field trips throughout the year. They meet second Wednesday of each month at U.C.C.S. in the University Center building. I see no other personal name or phone number anywhere on the page....just a p.o. box and the meeting stuff. I am not a member. Never have been a fan of super-cold water....I'd prefer to just walk along on dry land and picked up a nugget every 10 feet !

8. Patti Jury

Patti Jury Senior Member

Mar 23, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    Thanks all for the imput and Information...

Thanks Ross!

I am just in the curious mode right now... :D

9. Big ole Boy

Big ole Boy Elite Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Tennessee
    Gold Fever!

- An appealing notion to go around outside and pick up money, make it a vacation

from work and go walk and dream...

Sounds good to me ...

Finding hidden unclaimed is always a festive cocktail in the outdorsy types -

10. Susan Herm

Susan Herm New Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    IT Professional-Appraisal Related
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Patti,

Dad was on a real mining kick in the 80’s. We made it a family event. Fun filled day hiking through the mountain, splashing in the streams, picnic lunch, etc. As I recall we always made more money from recycling the aluminum cans we picked up along the trail, but it was a fun way to pass the time together. Best advice is… go to have a good time, & plan on spending more $$ than you will ever get back. Visiting with Mother Nature is always more fun if you don’t take your hobbies too seriously! Have fun! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.