1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Golf course appraisal help

Discussion in 'Commercial/Industrial Appraisals' started by Brian Eubanks, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Eubanks

Brian Eubanks New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    I just started a new job with the state of Louisiana Tax Commission, and my first assignment has been to prepare for a "possible" appraisal of an high end golf course in North Louisiana. I am no golfer and have never done an appraisal on this kind of facility. I feel like I'm being feed to the wolves so and advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Some back ground....The course was built by a local multi-millionaire, ten years ago. It was built in hopes of attracting PGA tournaments ... but to date none have been held there. Residential development around the course is about 15-20%. It is located in an area of rural residential homes, pasture and timber land...no zoning...and its H&BU would likely be continued use as a golf course. The owner feels that he is the highest assessed course in the state, but he has not yet filed a grievance nor has he got his own appraisal...so this assignment is up in the air so to speak.

From what I have gathered on AF, the income approach is difficult with no readily available income data and cap rates, there are no sales in Louisiana to speak of, and it would be hard to determine the different types of depreciation associated with this course.

What kind of advice can anyone give me?

2. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I'm preparing three cases for golf course (for tax appeal purposes.) I've sent two of the three to the assessor's appraisers.

PM me your email address and when I find get to see their methodology I might be able to share it with you.

I used income and sales approaches and expressed value as a unit of comparison ($/hole.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. ETex2

ETex2 Sophomore Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    As a certified appraiser who is still required to conform with USPAP, I would think that you would want to consider associating yourself with someone who has the experience to do this. Surely, you can find someone to assist you with this, right?

4. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    In California you retire your state appraiser license and start using a designation specific to tax assessment. USPAP is not relevant.

Louisiana Real Estate Appraisal Board:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. Caligirl

Caligirl Senior Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
  6. Kali the Boston Terrier

Kali the Boston Terrier Senior Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    Brian...PM me I have a friend who specializes in these things all over the world. He also happens to be in Houston not too far from you.

7. Marion Rhodes

Marion Rhodes Elite Member

Top Poster Of the Month

Feb 26, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Most of our golf courses have been taken over by the township or county. This is a resort area where most of the major resorts took a dive over the past 10 years. But residential growth was tremendous and cleared land became a highest and best use issue. But, the townships did not want the courses plowed under so now the tax payers are supporting them.

8. Tom Barclay

Tom Barclay Senior Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
  9. Pittsburgh Pete

Pittsburgh Pete Elite Member

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Golf courses are a pain. Just finished one a couple of weeks ago and continue to regret that I accepted the assignment. Income approach is problematic as it yields a going concern value including FF&E and goodwill. Sales data is usually so diverse (variety of building types, varying course quality, etc.) to make comparison difficult if not impossible. Ultimately, I just hope that I got close.

10. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico

So its ok for someone to lack total competence and "appraise" something for taxation? SERIOUSLY???

No matter the rules it borders on being totally unethical even when you say the ethics dont apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.