1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Got to love the Wisconsin Realtors Association & the National Association of Realtors

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Ray Miller, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Check this line out from the Madison Paper today.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/

Appraisers lost another one to the WRA and I would assume the NAR had a hand in it as well. Forty and Fifty dollar BPO are the name of the game in this state.

You know what is really interesting is that while this was going on, I was paying my dues to belong to the WRA and NAR and never once did they send me any kind of notice that they were opposed to this bill. I think they discriminated against me by failing to tell me all the news that was going on in the association. If you want MLS data in this state you go to belong to those associations. They cabbage on to your dues and use them against you.

What do you think?

2. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    They think they are championing the cause of those they serve by fighting for control of the appraisal process to ensure it goes their way. You should read about some of the things they do to brokers.

I've disliked ®ealtors since the 1960's.

3. Winston Wolf

Winston Wolf Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Maryland
  4. DMZwerg

DMZwerg Senior Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
  5. Stone

Stone Elite Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I had just sent in my check when I heard about this as well. And some don't understand why I don't pay the RPAC portion of the bill.

6. jay trotta

jay trotta Elite Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Connecticut
    It's a State License Law debate; In our area, an Opinion of Value requires (1) license and a Brokers Price Opinion requires a different (1) - since early on in the game.

They are (2) different fields of expertise; NAR promotes separate "Licensing", what happened in cheese land ??

7. DMZwerg

DMZwerg Senior Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
    In your land do transactions require a lawyer to finalize or can a broker do it?

My understanding is that the land of cheese is one of the areas where one with a broker license can finalize real estate purchases sans a lawyer.

8. NORTON

NORTON Senior Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    what happens when one of these "broker" opinion / appraisals ends up being low or high in the eyes of the utilizer...do they hire an abulance chaser attorney to go after them like they are hunting us down? or will the defense attorney justify the quality of the product based on the reduced price / fee of the product?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.