1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Help Buying/finding A Book

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by tedflanders, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tedflanders

tedflanders Sophomore Member

May 29, 2003
    After hearing you people talk about Appraiser's Guide to the Uniform Residential Appraisal Report I want to purchase this book. I have looked in several different places but I can not find anyone who has it. I have looked at Appraisal Institute and Amazon among a few. Any of you know where I can purchase it? Anyone have a used copy they want to sell? Thanks!
    Also, are there any "must have" books out there that I should get?

2. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    Try formsandworms.com or ebay

3. Chris Colston

Chris Colston Elite Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Ted, I think I'm the first to mention it. It would be useless to you, really. ;) It's an old AI course book from 1993 that was offered for CE credit. Whenever the URAR changes in format the AI comes out with a course about how to complete the form. I still use it as a reference guide even though the 1004 we currently use is newer (1997) than the text reference.

I still have my original text books from 1986, too. You would have to contact the AI for a archival copy.

Try to find any references from Henry Harrison at Forms and Worms, it will most likely provide you with the information you seek.

You might also want to keep current by obtaining from the AI the latest edition of The Appraisal of Real Estate. I have the eleventh edition, but I think there have been two more since then.

4. Mike Garrett RAA

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I am refering to Henry Harrison's Illustrated Guide to the URAR appraisal report. It is currently in print.

5. tedflanders

May 29, 2003
    Mike, would that be a good book for me to have? I am still a trainee.

6. Karl

Karl Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    When it comes to extending your knowledge. In MY OPINION there are NO BAD BOOKS. Just get the up to date books for this PROFESSION.

7. USPAP Compliant

USPAP Compliant Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
  8. tedflanders

May 29, 2003
    Got it. Thanks everyone!

9. EDWARD BERRY

EDWARD BERRY Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    The FHA Manual is a fair guide.

ed

10. Mike Garrett RAA

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    All of Harrison's guides are excellent reference manuals. I strongly recommend them. In the guides he lists the HUD/Fannie Mae/VA requirements as well as the paragraph #s. Real Estate Graphics has many good books listed. Over the years I have filled up a 6 shelf book case with many books. Harrison's guides are still the most used.

Buy the guide to the URAR first. After you read and use it for awhile I will bet you will want the Condo and Small Income guides too. Use your browser and look up "Henry Harrision".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.