Help: Marketing 101 For Appraisers

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Hank Outlaw, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank Outlaw

Hank Outlaw Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
    Happy New Year to all,

Do any of you have any suggestions / recommendations regarding how or where to go for a professional business card and maybe a logo design? (other than the local Staples, printing business, etc.)

I remember one of the appraisers on the AI forum mentioned a source a year or so ago who had designed a logo for them. I'm curious if there is maybe a fellow appraiser, associate, or someone who knows someone that comes highly recommended.

I kinda like the dancin' appraiser logo! :dance:

Or the "You thought it was worth how much" logo :rainfro:

Or the "You blew the sale" logo :fiddle:

Thanks,

Hank O.

2. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Alabama
    There are lots of people/artists and companies on the internet. Do a search for Logo design and you will find plenty. I have not used any of them so I can't recommend anyone.

3. Benjamin Singleton

Benjamin Singleton Junior Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    If possible find a bigger more reputable firm, even if it cost a couple of hundred. There are so many thousands of little logo shops on-line that are cheap and consist of Bubba in his basement somewhere with Photoshop. I used one of those not knowing any better. Only cost me $50. I even got to choose between 3 logos. Problem was that they were so cheesy and boring and unprofessional I have never even used them. So be careful as you search online for a service.

4. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Be careful you do not use another company's logo.

Too busy is not good.

Too many colors are not good...and it is expensive.

It must be memorable.

Will a logo really bring you any business?????????????? Think about this before you blow a bunch of money on design, printing costs, etc.

5. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
  6. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Alabama
    OK I was about to chime in that about how a logo and proffesional (Printed) image did not good in my experience. I still do it, but it hadn't gotten me one job.

Then I saw Gregs Card!!!!!! If you don't use that your crazy!! That is great!!

If it were me I would sending Greg $100 because it's that good! And I am serious!!

I checked and outlaw dot come is taken but some of the other extensions are available. What a great marketing idea! Makes me want to change my name.

7. Hank Outlaw

Hank Outlaw Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the responses,

I actually had a web address a few years back. It was www.myoutlawrealtor.com.

You have to wonder what folks think when they see that! I've wondered about whether to make a play on the name or not. I don't think it would go over real well using a card with a name Outlaw Appraisals! I guess the response depends on the client and your appraised value. But you never know until you get some feedback I suppose.

Thanks,

Hank O.

8. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Hey Hank, I was just fooling around late at night and hoped you wouldn't be offended at the play on your name. I was a commercial printer and graphic artist in a former life.

The point is that people won't make the connection that Outlaw = Dishonest or bad appraisal. They will connect a strong visual image with a word (your name or company) and remember. Always. In all of the dozens or hundreds of appraisers they have met, when they try to think of an appraiser, the image will come to mind which will automatically remind them of your name.

9. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I completely agree with Greg.

FWIW...some outlaws are HOT! ;)

Attached Files:

10. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Dee Dee, shame on you, this is a family oriented forum - except for when it comes to bashing skippy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.