1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Help me turn OFF my Vault auto-sending

Discussion in 'a la mode (TOTAL)' started by Mary Carter, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Carter

Mary Carter Sophomore Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    Hi all! I let my Wintotal contract expire in Nov. because business has been too slow, but I'm still using the software for the occasional appraisal that does trickle in. I used to use the Vault, and Wintotal still tries to go check for new files to back-up nightly, and because I'm no longer a Vault customer, it returns an error message. I can't find a way to turn off this nightly thing, and because I didn't renew, I have no user name or number to get online support from Wintotal to ask them. I suppose I could call but I can imagine how long I'd wait for support, and what it might cost, being a non-customer. I can't get into the Vault/online/Xsite area at all, so if there's a way to turn it off in the desktop app, I'd love to find it! Thanks!

2. Mary,
    Open win total, from the desktop, (the screen where you chose wich report you want to open) there is a button that says net.X connect. It is usually three or four buttons to the right of (new) on the middle tool bar.

Without opening a file click on the button.

Uncheck the boxes and close out.

Hope it helps.

3. Mary Carter

Oct 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    Thanks, Hall. I'll let you know if it works!

4. Dona Roberts

Dona Roberts Sophomore Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Hi Mary,
    Haven't tried Hall's suggestion, but if that doesn't work, try:
    1. Select the Microsoft green "start" button (bottom left of your screen)
    2. Select-all programs
    3. Select-a la mode vault
    4. Select-configure vault
    5. Continue through the screens until you reach - Enable scheduling
    6. Change your selection to N0-I will manually send my files to the a la mode servers.

Hope that helps,
    D

5. Mary Carter

Oct 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    Thanks, Dona! I tried that on your suggestion, but about the third screen into the 'configure Vault' is a password login, so it won't let me past there. Hopefully Hall's idea took care of it.

6. Mary Carter

Oct 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    I think Hall's solution took care of it.

Now, does anyone know how I can end those annoying pop-ups from Wintotal, asking me if I want to renew my subscription? I don't even have any of their software open, and I was greeted with a pop up this morning. I've been telling it 'no' for 3+ months! LOL

7. Dona Roberts

Dona Roberts Sophomore Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    vault password

Hi Mary,
    I am learning from your experience, if at some point I choose not to renew my maintenance. When you got to the vault configuration screen that asked for your password, did you enter your user ID and password? (the same one you used to use) Is that really true, if I or anyone else doesn't renew maintenance we can no longer access the vault space we purchased?:angry:
    Good to know for future reference.

8. BRCJR

BRCJR Senior Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    Do you have your reports backed up (not just in your files within software program) in some manner other than the vault?
    Some vendors delete your vault reports, after some period of time, if you do not renew.
    Not certain about a la mode policy, but you may want to find out how long they stay in vault, without you renewing.

9. Herire Ghazanian

Herire Ghazanian Junior Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Hi Mary, in Athena turn off the "Guru" from running everytime Windows starts. That's the red & yellow baseball cap icon in system tray. I haven't used the new version of Wintotal so i don't know if it still uses the "Guru" but i'm sure it's a memory resident program that does the same thing.

You can use this startup manager to figure out which program it is and turn it off from running automatically when windows starts.

10. Michael Chu

Michael Chu Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    In the Aurora version, the annoyances created by this applet is worse, as you found out. This is because they added three or more additional "scheduled tasks" that stays programmed whether you have the (vault) feature enabled or not.
    It is now called, alamode Assistant (a downgrade?) but it appears as a guy with shirt and tie, in the taskbar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.